Today was the day. No, Mo hasn’t shown up yet in Tampa – Cashman said The God Of Closers will get there when he gets there, as always – but spring training officially began for pitchers, catchers and the ultra-dedicated like Jeter.
What does the future have in store for the Yankees in 2012? Who knows? But with the additions (and subtractions) that were made to the pitching staff, I’m feeling pretty hopeful – provided my wishes come true.
Here are some of those wishes:
- CC will get off to a good start and not fade in the second half.
- Pineda will flourish in pinstripes. Kuroda too.
- Nova will prove last year wasn’t a fluke.
- Hughes will rebound and make me eat my words.
- A-Rod will not be useless, but rather will hit the *^&% out of the ball.
- Whoever wins the DH job (Ibanez, I guess) will actually bolster the lineup.
- Tex will reverse his offensive slide and figure out how to beat the shift.
- Jeter will play as if he’s 28.
- Joba will recover from surgery and throw heat.
- D-Rob will keep up the Houdini act only without giving me heart attacks.
- EVERYONE WILL STAY HEALTHY.
I have lots more wishes (I hope Pettitte will put in an appearance as a coach, since he’s been invited), but those will do for now. I’m just glad the boys are back.