I’m so drained after watching that 15-inning dramathon that my eyes are rolling around in my head.
Did everyone watch the whole thing? (I know. I’m lucky I’m on the west coast. The game just ended and it’s only 9:15 here.) It was one of the most bizarre contests I’ve ever seen and I would have been crushed if the O’s had won. Here’s why.
- Colon pitched like the Cy Young Award winner he once was. Don’t ask me how. He just did, like the Frankenstein monster who said, “I’m alive!” He was brilliant – so brilliant he should have come back out for the 9th.
- I always love and feel reassured by the sight of Mo, but it was Colon’s night. Why not let him try to finish it, Joe?
- Instead, we got a blown save by our beloved closer – always a tough one to swallow.
- What a job by Boone Logan.
- And what a major league debut by Noesi. I mean seriously. No pressure or anything, Hector. Clap clap clap.
- Turning to the offense…Well, there wasn’t much until the 15th. No matter how many leadoff men we got on base, they were stranded. It was agonizing. Over and over we couldn’t score – despite the second productive evening in a row for A-Rod. Fortunately, Cano finally came through with the big hit and not a moment too soon as I was about to punch my TV.
- A word on defense….Nunez nearly made yet another error but Tex saved his butt on the throw. We need somebody to give our infielders a rest, but he’s not the guy. As someone said on Twitter, he’s turning out to be Edwardo Knoblauch.
- Last night’s star of this blog, Chris Dickerson, provided the scare of the game. I was so happy the umpire ejected Gonzalez immediately after he hit Dickerson in the head, because I was good and ready to fly to Baltimore and eject him myself. I only hope the kid is okay. Just a horrible, stomach-churning moment.
- On a brighter note, it was fun to see A.J. pinch run. He seemed to enjoy himself during his 10 seconds on the base paths. The only thing “funner,” as he would say, would have been for CC to pinch hit.
So now we have ourselves a little two-game winning streak. I hope the boys will get some sleep tonight. They’ve earned the zzzz’s.