Jane Heller: An Accomplished, Entertaining Speaker
Ever since Jane’s first book was published in 1994, she has been making public appearances and addressing groups of many demographics and sizes. Having worked as a publicist for New York publishing houses, she discusses her often hilarious journey from being a promoter of authors to being an author herself. Having written 13 novels, she breaks down her writing process for aspiring writers. Having had nine of her novels optioned by Hollywood, she tells stories about her adventures in the movie business. Having worked as a hospital volunteer for several years, she speaks with knowledge and conviction about the rewards of volunteering in the medical field. And having shifted to nonfiction with Confessions of a She-Fan, she talks passionately about sports and explains why love for a team is similar to romantic love.
With the release of Jane’s book about caregiving, You’d Better Not Die or I’ll Kill You: A Caregiver’s Survival Guide to Keeping You in Good Health and Good Spirits, she has another subject to explore with groups. Having been the caregiver to her husband Michael, who’s had Crohn’s disease since he was 11, and the daughter of an aging parent with dementia, she speaks candidly, comically and compassionately about both spousal and parental caregiving. And because she’s interviewed other caregivers who’ve been there for a family member with everything from autism to Alzheimer’s and talked to experts in a variety of fields, she can reach out to any group interested in caregiving – from nonprofits and business groups to support communities and families in crisis.
Jane is funny, engaging and inspiring, and her audiences respond with that rare combination of laughter and tears. She can deliver speeches of varying lengths and to groups ranging from libraries and book-and-author festivals to fundraising events and business meetings.
A list of her appearances includes:
- Brandeis National Women’s Book and Author Luncheon, Phoenician Resort, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Brandeis National Women’s Book and Author Luncheon, Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, CA.
- Christamore House Guild Book and Author Benefit Luncheon, Indiana Roof Ballroom, Indianapolis, IN.
- CAHHS (California Association of Hospitals and Health Systems) Convention, Monterey Convention Center, Monterey, CA.
- LA Times Festival of Books, U.C.L.A. Campus, Los Angeles, CA.
- Whittier College Writers Festival, Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts, Whittier, CA.
- BookMania, Lyric Theatre, Stuart, FL.
- Southwest Florida Reading Festival, Centennial Park, Ft. Myers, FL.
- Santa Barbara Writers Conference, Doubletree Resort, Santa Barbara, CA.
- CALM (Child Abuse Listening Mediation) Annual Celebrity Authors’ Luncheon, Doubletree Resort, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care Annual Chairman’s Circle Foundation Event, Montecito Country Club, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Assistance League of San Fernando Valley 2013 Authors Luncheon, Odyssey Restaurant Ballroom, Granada Hills, CA.
- 2013 Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield Conference, Convention Center, Hot Springs, AR
- 2018 Women’s Health Empowerment Summit presented by Hadassah, Capital Hilton, Washington, D.C.