Scenes From My Video Shoot For “You’d Better Not Die”

September 12th, 2012 by Jane Heller

What a fun day! The crew from Expanded Books came to the house from L.A. to shoot a video trailer for my new book. I wrote a script for the two-plus minute video that I kept revising right down to the last minute. I have new appreciation for actors now, because memorizing every word of that script was hard, as short as it was. But before I delivered my lines, I got made up by a pro named Patrice Ryan, who’s painted the faces of many a movie and TV star.

the "before" picture, complete with hair in rollers

I told her I wanted to look like me only a whole lot better, and she obliged by giving me eyes that popped but didn’t go all raccoon.

hamming it up between takes

Once we got rolling I really enjoyed the process, probably because I was allowed to “cheat” by glancing at the script every now and then.

taking a sec to get my words just right

The main thing is that I was able to look right into the camera and talk to the 65 million caregivers in America. I wanted to tell them that I wrote “You’d Better Not Die” for them – by sharing my own caregiving story with my husband Michael, by introducing the other resilient caregivers I interviewed and by providing advice from experts. The last line of the script invites viewers of the video to write to me with their own experiences and join the conversation. I sure hope they will.

"Got a story of your own? Check out YOU'D BETTER NOT DIE and join the conversation."

Oh – in case anyone’s wondering, we shot the video in my office, with me in front of a green screen, because we’ll be using animation. I’ll be “talking” to characters that Expanded Books will create, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Scenes From My Video Shoot For “You’d Better Not Die””

1. Margaret says:

So cool Jane!
    And it sounded like fun.
    Congratulations on it all. (and our boys won – good day for you huh?!)

It was fun, Peg, and certainly a change of pace from my usual day in front of the computer. Btw, did you ever go to “The Chew?” I wanted to see you with Michael Symon!

3. Ruth says:

All the best to you, Jane. Book releases and the accompanying whirlwind are probably old hat to you by now, but how exciting!

Never old hat, Ruth. It’s like the first time every time!

5. Susan Alexander says:

Jane , You look just fabulous ! I’m sure you did a great job. Also thank goodness the Yankees won last night and Jeter is OK .

I wish I’d had you to pick out my wardrobe, Sue, but I liked the sweater I ended up wearing. Very comfy.

7. Margaret says:

Oh Jane my Chew experience was dreadful and disappointing.
    Everything that was promised (i brought the email just in case too) did not come to fruition.
    Apparently first time they did 2 episodes in one day.
    Everyone seemed to be confused and it was utter chaos.
    From being told to not have to stand in line to standing in line outside for 1 1/2 hrs.

I not only did not get to meet my boyfriend Michael Symon, but I didn’t get to sit on the panel with those that get to eat their food. Honestly it was tofu with Daphne’s mom so that was okay by Rick and myself at that point.
    I got to sit in the front row behind the table of eaters that were sitting up high. I couldn’t see a thing. (I am short) Watching from home would have been much better. I got an apology the next day.
    I was supposed to be reimbursed for my trip. I was told this several times and have it in an email.
    Suddenly no one could help me and I never was. ($800)

Getting my roots done and buying new clothes so I would look good for you all didn’t even matter. :-)

I am leaving a lot out to not bore you but it was a major cluster.
    I still love the show and Michael. So all’s good.
    It was an experience that is for sure.

Oh, Peg. You must have been so disappointed! I’m sure it was an experience but not the kind you were looking for. Really sorry. But I’m glad you still love Michael Symon. :)