A Snippet From Mom’s Visit

January 23rd, 2012 by Jane Heller

As I mentioned in my last post, my mother celebrated her 95th birthday recently with a trip west to Santa Barbara. She hadn’t been to California in years and wasn’t thrilled about flying cross country, but her sidekick, Sandy James, came along for moral support and now they’re here for two weeks.

Before dinner the other night Mom and Sandy broke into Mom’s favorite song, “I Could Have Danced All Night.” Here’s the dynamic duo in a clip I shot on my iPhone (hence the poor quality of the video).

Pretty impressive, if you ask me. I can’t remember all the lyrics to “Stairway To Heaven,” but Mom doesn’t miss a single word when it comes to her song.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “A Snippet From Mom’s Visit”

1. Melissa says:

That is very impressive. One of my favorite songs as well – it’s a great song to sing, very good for you physiologically as well.

Bravo, Mama She-Fan!!

2. Margaret says:

Oh I loved this!
    Happy Birthday Jane’s Mom.

I grew up listening to her sing that song, Melissa. She took us to see “My Fair Lady” on Broadway and has been singing it ever since.

Glad you liked, Peg!

4. Harold M. Bluenote says:

How charming. Save that clip in your archives 4ever. First impulse is to hope that, all of a sudden, Agador-Spartacus will burst thru the doorway and re-amplify the singing, shoes or no shoes, a la “The Bird Cage…”

Second impulse is to remember me own dear ole folks…Dad was the Broadway shows & classical music lover, which he imparted to Mom (but not to me). As a rebellious teen, they dragged me, kicking and screaming, to Broadway to see it…and whaddya know…like ice hockey, it’s a WHOLE lot better seeing and feeling it all in person.

You Go, Girls…!!

I hated going to all those shows, Dave, but it was a family ritual. I still remember being dragged to “West Side Story,” which I only appreciated much later in life (and not from the movie version – ugh).

6. Melissa says:

Jane, who played Eliza when you saw it?

Julie Andrews. Yes, I’m THAT old!

8. Melissa says:

Oh my god. You saw Julie Andrews on Broadway! Don’t say “Yes I’m THAT old” say “Yes, I am THAT lucky!”

Right you are, Melissa. I stand corrected.

10. jane says:

Bravo ladies! We performed “My Fair Lady” in high school, so it will always be near and dear to my heart. Your mother is such a delight and how nice she has someone to help with adventures such as this.

I missed a chance to see Richard Harris play King Arthur in “Camelot”, another of my favorites, and will regret the actions that prompted that grounding by my mom (yes it was a while ago!) til the day I die!

I never saw “Camelot,” Jane. (LOL about your mother grounding you.) I admit I’m not a fan of musical theater but there are a few shows I did enjoy. “West Side Story” was an early one and later I loved “Dreamgirls.” I’m just not big on people breaking into song in the middle of a scene!

12. jane says:

I was thinking of you and this video clip last night. We caught “My Fair Lady” production last night at the auditorium on the campus of Iowa State Univeristy. It was great to see the house basically full and in the middle of a winter storm warning no less. Wonderful performance–your mom may not have had quite the pipes of this woman but she shows just as much spunk!

It was so sweet of you to think of my mom when you saw the production last night, Jane! (Sorry about the winter storm though.) She does love that show and that song.