Should I Go Back to California?

July 3rd, 2014 by Jane Heller

united_airlines_airplane_thg_120927_wmain

Ever since I arrived on the east coast Monday night, it’s been downhill for the Yankees. Is it my fault?

Nah. I’m putting the blame squarely on their broad shoulders. They’re just playing badly in a division that’s there for the taking. The Jays, Rays, O’s and Red Sox all have weaknesses and yet we can’t seem to rise above our own mediocrity. And if someone starts hitting (Tex, Ellsbury), they suddenly have injuries or are too “banged up” to play. As for Beltran and McCann, both have been underperforming and it’s hurt the team, yesterday’s successes at the plate notwithstanding. And Solarte, poor guy, seems to have outlived his usefulness to the team. But the one I’m most sorry about it Sori. Alfonso had such a nice season last year. He seemed rejuvenated to be back with the Yanks. Now he seems ready for retirement.

It’s gotten to the point where, during the series with Tampa, the games would be close in late innings but I didn’t feel compelled to watch to find out how it would all turn out. The results felt too predictable. This team has a losing stink right now.

Maybe Minnesota will give them the change of scenery they need, although why they don’t play well at home when the Stadium was designed for them, tailor made for them, is a mystery.

I’m not ready to divorce them by any means, but, as they say in the dating book, I’m just not that into them right now.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Should I Go Back to California?”

1. john adamski says:

Ditto on the stinkism!

Welcome to the East coast. Lets have a hurricane to celebrate your visit.

Every year, without fail, John. I bring the hurricanes. It’s my fault, just like the Yankees’ stinkism. Last night’s storm was a doozy, so I can’t wait for Hurricane Arthur to show up – not.

This obviously isn’t your fault, Jane. I just wish I knew whose fault it is. I’ve always been a big Girardi fan, but I’m starting to think now that maybe he’s not doing something right to govern this team. I have never pointed a finger at him before, but we’ve got some good players out there and they’re just not doing it. Maybe a road trip will help…it couldn’t hurt. GO YANKEES!!!

I disagree, Diane. Girardi’s a really positive guy and he’s got the players he’s got. Not his fault, in my opinion. Cashman should have been minding the farm system.

5. Hello
    First time here commenting.
    I have your blog on netvibes.
    I am looking fwd reading your book soon [where can I buy it in PDF].
    BTW: what do you think of Mo’s book?

I just wrote this on my blog:
    AL East is the most competitive division this 2014. Games by difference averages ~5 games while Central and West divisions are seven and ten games each, on average. Best team in the AL is Oakland with 0.622. Yankees are one notch below median, that means they are #8 in a fifteen teams list. So far more than 80 games have been played. Yankees equivalent in the NL are the Pittsburgh; even the Pirates have a 0.512 avg while Yankees 0.506.

If the WS would be today it would be between Oakland & Milwaukee.

I hope NYY take advantage for at least go via wild card. Cannot be less for #2 departure.

6. Terry S says:

I was at the game yesterday. Was so sad when Tampa went up by two runs and I knew it was over.

Hopefully the winning ways begin today.

I appreciate your thoughts on Girardi and Cashman. Joe can drive me nuts, but he is a spectacular coach. Cashman – would love to see him exercise his “brilliance” elsewhere because he wouldn’t be here.

Hi Diego. Welcome. My book is available as an ebook if you go on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple/iTunes or any of the e-tailers. I’m kind of amazed how well Oakland is doing but they tend to fade toward the end of the season. No idea whether Milwaukee will keep up the pace. I hope the Yankees will get into the postseason. They need to turn it up a notch though.

Must have been steamy at the Stadium yesterday, Terry. I’m with you on Cashman, although I’m sure glad he went after Tanaka.

I know what you mean, Jane – just not that into them. I keep thinking they’ve hit rock bottom but then they sink further. Yet I can never resist turning on the game, especially when my phone alerts signal positive activity. Fortunately, the last two games have been worth watching. Maybe this upswing will last. A winning streak to match that losing streak would be most welcome. Let’s hope for a sweep today and

I can’t resist either, Audrey, and the two games against Minny have been fun to watch (minus Chase Whitley’s “performance”). A sweep would be lovely.

10. john says:

Met a women from NY today at the Blue Oar on the CT river in Haddam. She saw my Yankee hat and my license plate, “NY-YANKS”, and approached me with a thumbs up. She told me she was going to Jeter’s last game in NY and his last game in Boston Aug. 2nd. She was a troubled fan though. She said she would probably not follow the Yanks after Jeter leaves. I immediately placed my hand over her head and blessed her in the name of Babe, Lou, Joe D, Mickey, Whitey, Yogi and about ten more former players at the Cathedral in the Bronx. I invoked George to smile down on this women and cure her of her troubled feelings. She looked at me and said “thank you, I am glad we met today”.

As seriously as I take my job annoying Red Sox fans, the last place Red Sox, I sometimes must also tend to our Yankee flock. Its a major job doing all this but I was put her for a purpose and my job is not finished as yet.

P.S. Yes my wife knows I am nuts.

Hahahaha, John. You do your job well. (My sympathies to your wife.)