Not Sleepless in Seattle

June 13th, 2014 by Jane Heller

wakeuo

Well, that was refreshing – a series sweep against the Mariners that included another spectacular performance by Tanaka, some stress-free closes by Robertson, the resurgence of Jeter both at the plate and on the bases, the continuing brilliant play by Ellsbury and the emergence of Chase Whitley, who went deeper into a game last night and proved he can throw strikes and get guys out. Not bad at all. Even Soriano awoke from his slumber and hit a big double in last night’s game.

Of course I would have preferred that Ellsbury not feel tightness in his hip. Nobody seems too worried about it, but he’s felt it before and I hope it’s not a lingering issue. We need him in the lineup – oh, do we need him. He’s the guy that makes things happen, and while the Yankees offense isn’t exactly reminiscent of the Bronx Bombers, they actually scored six runs last night and he’s always in the mix when we’re talking about scoring runs.

Interesting that Cervelli’s about to return. I’d practically forgotten about him and his great spring. I was happy with Murphy and will be sorry to see him get sent down (or, please no, traded). But if Cervelli can be the spark plug we need, so much the better, I guess. And having Shawn Kelley back soon will give the relievers some rest. What we still need is a long man in the pen to replace Phelps and Nuno now that they’re starters.

On to Oakland, which won’t be easy, and then home to face the sizzling Blue Jays, which definitely won’t be easy.

Meanwhile, the NY Rangers have another elimination game tonight. My stomach’s in a knot already……….

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Not Sleepless in Seattle”

1. margaret says:

I so wish I got these west coast games.
    I don’t have yes network on dish but then again, I’d be asleep anyway.
    I have to rely on you and MLB highlights. So thank you.
    :-)

You’re welcome. :)

3. john says:

Your job to deliver in Oakland Jane.

Heading to Maine Monday. Can’t wait to see and hear the way the Maineacs are handling Sox season. Easy picking for me this year.

Going to Old Timers Day with 6 family members. Seeing Yogi and Whitey is something special that won’t happen much longer.

Whitley was amazing and, of course, Tanaka was incredible. I just love watching him get through a game. The expressions on his face are phenomenal. He is so committed to everything he does on the field. If he wasn’t an incredible pitcher he would be an awesome infielder. The only down side to the series was Cano doing so well, but hey, we swept them so that’s all that matters. I’m going to be nervous when they come back to the east coast – they have to play the teams in their division that are doing a little too well for my liking. Hey, you never know…GO YANKEES!!!

I’ll do my best, John. Have fun in Maine and try to stay out of trouble!

I didn’t mind Cano doing well, Diane. Our guys get to go back to NY soon and he has to stay in Seattle! Lol.

Didn’t get to watch or listen much but at least I woke up every morning to a happy alert on my phone!

That’s such a nice feeling, isn’t it? Will hope for the same vs Oakland, Audrey.