Fading, Fading……

June 8th, 2014 by Jane Heller

fading-away

That’s what the Yankees have been doing for the last ten games or so and that’s what I feel like when I either watch/listen to the games or check the box scores. Depressing.

The defense has been spotty, the pitching unreliable, albeit Kuroda was good today, and the offense practically nonexistent. Remember the days of “too many home runs?” That all seems like a hallucination right now. Thank God for playoff hockey, even though the Rangers are down two to the Kings.

And back in the baseball world, things were much more interesting between the Orioles and A’s than they were between the Yankees and Royals:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/manny-machado-ejected-after-bat-toss-incites-benches-clearing-altercation-213609066.html

The Mike Piazza/Roger Clemens bat throwing incident was minor compared to that little dust up!

 

Share

Tags: , , , , , ,

4 Responses to “Fading, Fading……”

  1. Audrey says:

    Yankee baseball is just not any fun to watch or listen to anymore. The caliber of play is seriously low. Sloppy defense, base-running mistakes, strikeouts and double-plays on the offense. How many times can you load the bases with no one out and not score before you admit you have serious problems? I keep thinking about June of 2009, when we were in a similar situation. The team had been totally lackluster. Then Girardi challenged a call, got thrown out of the game and the team suddenly came to life. Could that happen again? Please!

  2. Jane Heller says:

    Sadly, you’re right, Audrey. They look hapless and helpless right now, just very mediocre. Not sure a Girardi meltdown would do the trick this time but I’m happy if he wants to try!!

  3. Uncle Mike says:

    It’s gotten so bad that my own blog contained these words: That was it: The Yankees wasted a leadoff single by Brett Gardner in the 1st, a Solarte single and a Brian Roberts walk in the 2nd, a leadoff double by Jacoby Ellsbury in the 3rd… Oh, what’s the use in telling you about any more Yankee RISPfail?”

    I’m reminded of Connie Mack’s words: “Pitching is 75 percent of baseball.” But what good is it if you don’t get the other 25 percent done? Which reminds me of Billy Martin’s words: “Connie Mack lied.”

    Maybe we should do Billy’s old trick, and pull the lineup out of a hat. I’ll bet THAT tactic isn’t in Joe Girardi’s binder!

  4. Jane Heller says:

    Don’t make yourself crazy by counting all the runners left on base, Uncle Mike. It’s too painful right now! Not sure pulling the lineup out of a hat would even work at this point. Maybe Audrey’s idea of Girardi getting tossed would work some magic after all.

Leave a Reply

*