Bright Lights, Big City

May 15th, 2014 by Jane Heller
Photo: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

Photo: Mike Stobe/Getty Images North America

Photo: J. Meric/Getty Images North America

Photo: J. Meric/Getty Images North America

Chase Whitley and Dellin Betances were good for the soul tonight in the Yankees’ shutout of the Mets. Whitley was a desperation call up and he performed beautifully, if briefly, even getting a hit.  And Betances has just been flat-out impressive. Whenever I think we don’t have a farm system, I see kids like these two and feel warm all over. It’s particularly heartening to watch Betances flourish. He was one of the so-called Killer B’s on the farm, and he’s the only one left. He had control problems as a starter and was reinvented as a reliever. Good move, Yankees. Good move.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Bright Lights, Big City”

And after all the ugliness we’re still in second place, just a half game behind Baltimore. What an interesting game last night, a good one to listen to since there obviously wasn’t a whole lot of offense from either side. Who’s have guessed we’d get a pitchers’ duel between two call-ups? Thank goodness for the Mets’ throwing mistake or that game could have gone scoreless into the eternities!

Also nice that Robertson was able to come in and shut down the Mets’ scoring threat in the 8th, then take them out 1,2,3 in the ninth. Maybe he is settling into his closer role.

Obviously, if offense is your favorite part of a game, last night was not a good one for you. But who wouldn’t be happy with a Yankees win. And Betances…is he the next Mariano? What’s the old phrase… calm, cool and collected??? That’s him. Glad I was wrong about the weather predictions for the subway series (nice parting for Jeet at Citifield) but tonight’s game is supposed to be a rain out. We’ll see what happens. GO YANKEES!!!

I never would have predicted a pitcher’s duel between the call-ups, Audrey. Baseball’s an interesting game! And yes, Robertson looked mighty sharp in the closer role. No Houdini nonsense. I hope he keeps it up.

I’m glad you’re not the weather forecaster, Diane. LOL.

4. Raul says:

Betances is indeed part of the Killer B’s, but he is not the only one left. Manny Bañuelos is working his way back from a Tommy John surgery. Right now he is in Trenton’s roster.

Right you are, Raul, but we need to see how he rehabs from the surgery. Hoping he can be productive.

6. Raul says:

I’m crossing my fingers, Jane!