All Hail Nuno

May 7th, 2014 by Jane Heller

i

He doesn’t look like a pitcher. He’s sort of ungainly. And I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from him in tonight’s series finale against the Angels, but he very nearly shut them down completely. He was great – just what this team needed.

The tribute to Jeter before the game was very classy and respectful, and he seemed to enjoy it, especially the presentation of the pinstriped paddle board. I was hoping they’d do a funny scoreboard video starring the rally monkey, but it was a straightforward montage of clips – the same clips we’ll likely see at every stadium this season. It’s still hard to believe this is a farewell tour for the Captain, whether he calls it that or not. I can’t imagine the Yankees without him, but I do get that the time is right for him to walk away. I hope he puts together a group of investors and buys the Yanks someday. I loved his homer, btw.

Meanwhile, the poor Angels made a mess of the early innings tonight. It was a comedy of errors and miscues for them right from the get-go. Oh well. Not my problem. I was just glad we won. We left the bases loaded twice, but I can’t complain about nine runs.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “All Hail Nuno”

1. Barbara says:

I love waking up to happy news from the west coast and watching the happy innings in the morning

And I love waking up after a win. Puts me in a much better mood!

That botched catch of Jeter’s fly ball in the first inning was odd…it made me kind of feel like they did it on purpose because it was Jeter. It’s not likely that a pro ballplayer, especially Trout who seems to be the “New Jeter”, would do such a thing but it was just an impulsive thought on my part. Anyway, I’ll take any Yankee win, no matter how it happens. In the meantime, Mariano Rivera was at a local book signing yesterday here on Long Island – I didn’t make it but like a thousand people showed up and its a really small area book store. Anyway, I heard that in the book Mariano digs at Cano a little. Can’t wait to pick it up and read it. GO YANKEES!!!

4. Harold Schwartz says:

I read that Joe Torre’s number 6 will be retired – well deserved; I thought he was a terrific manager with the perfect temperament and he was great at handling all the players no matter who they were. What I don’t understand is why the great Joe McCarthy has not been so honored. His record matches or exceeds almost any other Yankee (or any other team’s) manager. How do you retire Billy Martin’s number and not McCarthy’s? Are the powers that be too young to remember him? – I’m not.
    Harold Schwartz

Mo’s comments about Cano have been all over the media for days, Diane! Where have you been? Lol. As for that collision in the outfield last night, it wasn’t Mike Trout’s fault. The right fielder should have let him take the ball. Plus the sun is rough out there at that time of day/night.

Good point about McCarthy, Harold. No idea why his number hasn’t been retired. I’m happy about Paul O’Neill being in Monument Park along with the greats. He’s not a Hall of Famer but he was such a great Yankee.

Good win to get, regardless how. Always happy for Jeet.

Harold…I’m sure you can answer this…and anyone else who cares to try, feel free. They’ve noted in the press, of course, that now since Torre’s number will be retired, and Jeter’s is a given, that means there are no more unretired uniform numbers in single digits. Can anyone out there match the number(s) with the player(s)? Without cheating…!

7. Terry S says:

May not be right, but I didn’t cheat!

1-Billy Martin
    2-Derek Jeter
    3-Babe Ruth
    4-Lou Gehrig
    5-Joe DiMaggio
    6-Joe Torre
    7-Mickey Mantle
    8-Bill Dickey
    8-Yogi Berra
    9-Roger Maris

Terry, you got ‘em right. Nice job, getting BOTH #8′s, too…!