The Return of Cano

April 29th, 2014 by Jane Heller

cano mariners

The day started off great after I watched last night’s clip of Cano on the “Tonight Show.” So funny.

But tonight’s game? Not so funny. The conditions looked dreadful – I can’t imagine sitting there in the cold and rain, ugh – and the booing for Cano was embarrassing. At least to me. I get that the fans are mad at him for taking Seattle’s money and spurning the Yankees’ offer, but come on. He was a terrific player when he was in New York and deserved some thanks for that.

Meanwhile, the game was as awful as the weather. CC started out strong, but unraveled in the fifth inning. Isn’t our ace supposed to avoid big innings and bear down when the going gets tough? I wasn’t happy.

As for the offense, it was heartening to see Tex with the home run swing again, but I missed Ellsbury in the lineup and hope his hand is OK. (Pineda’s latest injury is just plain depressing.) Also, am I the only one who’s wondering where the power hitting McCann is? Maybe he’s pressing, trying to focus on his catching, but we could use a little more pop from him at the plate.

The Yankees did mount a comeback attempt in the ninth against Rodney, but ultimately they fell short (Beltran’s called third strike was painful). As Bob Costas said on MLBN, the end was “merciful.”

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “The Return of Cano”

I agree with all you said, Jane. The Tonight Show was hysterical. I don’t think the fans at the stadium should have reacted to Cano at all. If you boo him or cheer him, it says pretty much the same thing. I think it would have been more embarassing to him if they had just stayed silent & not reacted to him at all. I was happy to see Tex hit one out of the park & the second run was fun to watch. The rest of the game…not so much. Anyway, I’m pretty sure tonight’s game will get rained out but you never know. GO YANKEES!!!

2. john adamski says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AND I REALLY MEAN IT!

P.S. I do have 4 balls he signed in Tampa back when. Any offers?

If it gets rained out, Diane, I have no idea how they’ll play it. The Mariners only come in once this season. Oh well. Not my problem if they have to fly all the way back for one game. Yes, happy to see Tex hit one out. Not happy that Pineda is gone again.

Well, you certainly do mean it, John. Not sure why, but your choice!

4. YankeeCase says:

That was so painful, I could barely watch. It was like running into an ex-girlfriend who broke your heart, stomped on it, and kicked it down the street…

I just want to be done with it. :(

Aw, YankeeCase. I’m sure Cano misses you too. :)

6. YankeeCase says:

Come September, and perhaps next year, and the year after that, and possibly a few more after that, I’m sure he’ll miss all us Yankee fans too. And the chance to win every year. And yeah, those pinstripes.