Our Numbers 1-2 of the Future?

April 16th, 2014 by Jane Heller
Photo: AP/Bill Kostroun

Photo: AP/Bill Kostroun

Yankees Michael Pineda, Yankees Spring Training Photo Day. (Corey Sipkin/New York Daily Photo: Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Photo: Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Could happen. At least that’s the way I envisioned these two after today’s wipe-out of the Cubbies. I know Chicago’s not exactly filled with heavy hitters, but both Tanaka and Pineda looked very, very good.

Now the focus shifts to CC when he and the Yanks take on the Rays at the dreaded Trop. CC always seems to go up against David Price, so he has his work cut out for him. I’d really like to see him give us an ace-type outing. I wouldn’t mind if Beltran continued to hit bombs either.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Our Numbers 1-2 of the Future?”

A doubleheader on a busy weekday is always tough but these games were very pleasant background noise as I went about my work and drove around today. I am loving what Ellsbury and Beltran bring to every game, Gardner is still a factor in almost every rally and Jeter is still making his presence felt. The pitching is giving me goosebumps it is so good! As John sterling said yesterday, this team really has a chance.

I didn’t get to enjoy any of game 1 but I thoroughly enjoyed game 2. Great pitching and defense – and the hitting did just what it needed to do. The team chemistry is amazing…it really feels like they are working as a team (instead of as a bunch of stars) and doing what they need to do to win. It also sounds like The Yankees would have scored a few more runs if the wind was blowing in so strongly from the outfield. Anyway, let’s hope they keep this run going against Tampa…GO YANKEES!!!

I heard John say that, Audrey, but he added that they’d have a chance if Teixeira came back healthy and hit 30 home runs – a big “if” these days. I wonder if he’ll ever be right as his body seems to be breaking down. But there sure are a lot of positives despite the injuries. Encouraging.

4. Leo says:

Good morning Jane, Audrey, and fellow other Yankee/baseball fans. Sorry I couldn’t comment until now I’ve been having a far more hectic work life than usual. What a surprise Pineda has been. Nobody could’ve expected that he would immediately contribute a few quality starts following his surgery and just now facing MLB lineups. I don’t know how long we can expect him to be this dominant but we shall see. Same with Tanaka. He’s been everything as advertised and I look forward to the future of our rotation with these 2. CC worries me. I’ve now accepted that he is probably no longer the reliable ace he once was but he can only improve from his awful year last season.

I left out the part about Texeira, Jane, because I don’t think the old Tex is coming back and I don’t think he needs to. It would be nice but I think this team can get it done without him at full-strength.

6. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

I was at that came last night and it was quite CHILLY (or should I say COLD). Thankfully, we were bundled up and we stayed till the very last out. Also, thankful that they won after sitting through that WINTER weather. I got in the car and blasted the heat to get the chill out of my bones.

I’m loving Tanaka and Pineda and praying they will be successful once the teams have seen them more than once. Tanaka looked downright filthy and Pineda fought his way through in the miserable cold. Bullpen has been terrific too. I actually like the makeup of this team because no matter who Joe puts in the lineup they all seem to be doing their part and are focusing on the win not themselves.
    The only thing I missed from the game was the electricity that always happened in the ninth of a close game when “Enter Sandman” started playing and Mo came jogging in from centerfield. It will never be the same for all of us who shared in Mo’s magnificent journey with the Yankees. I really do miss my Mo … Of course, the win took the sting out of not seeing Mo and life must go on even if it is without Mo and next year without DJ. Rays up next …here’s to CC showing some of the old magic tonight.

Go Yankees 2014 !!!!

Yes, Leo, hopefully we’ll at least see an upgrade with CC after last year, if not a return to his dominant ways.

I don’t think the old Tex is coming back either, Audrey, but I’d love to be surprised. I do think he’s a big piece of the puzzle. Nobody plays first base like he does, but also he’s a switch hitter and invaluable to the lineup.

Mo! Peggy, I’d been trying to block it out that he’s not trotting into games in the 9th, but I do miss him. Sigh. Glad you survived the cold last night.

8. Terry says:

My sister and I looked at one another in the 9th inning and shook our heads. We thought we used to get a little nervous with Mo going for the save. Now we know first hand what the rest of the league has experienced for years. That being said, the bullpen is doing a great job. They are feeding off each other’s success and it is beautiful to see!

I agree Peggy. It was not chilly. It was freezing! Worth every minute of it too.