Highs and Lows So Far

April 5th, 2014 by Jane Heller

Highs+and+Lows2

The weekend’s not over, but I had to weigh in after Friday and Saturday’s games.

The highs? Clearly Tanaka and Pineda. When Melky (grrr, Melky) hit that hot shot off Tanaka right away I had one thought: Igawa redux. But I absolutely loved his demeanor on the mound. He said afterwards that he was nervous, but even so he was able to settle down and pitch really well. I love the kid already. As for Pineda, what a lovely surprise. He hadn’t been on the mound in a long time and yet he was great. I only wish he’d stayed in the game. On the offensive side, I’m happy with what I’m seeing from Ellsbury. He’s giving us hits as well as speed. Not the strongest arm I’ve ever seen in the outfield, but I’ll take the rest of him.

Now the lows. Obviously, I begin with Teixeira. Sheesh. Seriously, Mark? We get you back for five minutes and you’re gone again? We’ll know more about the hamstring strain after his MRI, but we don’t have an adequate replacement. I miss Eric Chavez at times like this and he wasn’t even a first baseman. I hope Cashman’s working the phones, because Kelly Johnson and Dean Anna aren’t making my heart sing. I’d also like some offense from the rest of the lineup. Hello, Beltran. Hello, Soriano. Hello, McCann. You guys are supposed to be our heavy hitters so do your thing. I like the speed this team has but I like home runs even more.

It’s early, but having two starters like Tanaka and Pineda is very, very positive.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Highs and Lows So Far”

1. Terry S says:

Tex is breaking down before our eyes. He wasn’t looking like a gold glover before the injury. It may be wishful thinking that we may ever get 30 hr and 100 RBI again. Love Ellsbury. Always have. He was always too clean cut and professional to play for Boston.

I’ve always liked Ellsbury too, Terry. I worry about the injuries with him, so if can stay healthy – a big “if” – he’ll be great for us.

3. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans

OPENING DAY!!!! I hope the rain holds off and we get a Yankee win. It’s
    not freezing but it will be quite chilly so I’ll have my big snuggly
    Yankee blanket with me. Go Kuroda !!

GO YANKEES 2014!!!

Happy Opening Day to you, Peggy. Enjoy the game and stay warm!

Yes, Peg. Happy Opening Day! The weather looks like it should pretty much hold up. The place is going to be packed!!! I can’t imagine what kind of response the stands will give when Jeter comes out.

For the season so far, I know we’d like to be better than 500 after the first road trip, but I think the pitching was pretty awesome. Even C.C., looking much better in his second start, although he almost blew it. The bats are starting to wake up but how weird is it that they finally get their first home run of the season and it’s by Brett Gardner? The history of this team has always been the long ball, but maybe they will be more productive this way. And while it probably would be a good idea to get a new “back up” first baseman, most of their infielders have experience playing first base so maybe this will be another new way of doing things. Let’s win the home opener and sweep the first home series. GO YANKEES!!!

6. Jean says:

Oh my… Is it me or do we need to really take a look at our physical training program? What’s with the hamstrings, groins, lowerback spasms and all injuries? I know we ain’t gettin’ young but this is getting to be an issue… I hope our bench can step up! Go Yanks.

BTW, it was heartbreaking to see the Captain on his last Opening day!! It’s just hard to let go…

We said the same thing last year about the training program, Jean. I’m afraid it’s not the problem. These guys are made of glass! Sheesh. And it’s not even about age necessarily. D-Rob is young!