Inching Closer to Opening Day

March 25th, 2014 by Jane Heller

behind home plate

I’m excited about this 2014 team and I didn’t expect to be. All reports indicate that our starting rotation (CC, Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka and now Pineda) should be pretty damn good. The pen will be stocked with more-than-decent relievers, although I can’t wrap my head around Robertson as the closer. Ellsbury’s always going to be a question mark, injury wise, but he sounds healthy enough for Opening Day. Will Jeter and Tex ever get their bats going? Sure, eventually. And I’m hoping for nice offense from McCann and Cervelli (never would have guessed he’d have such a good spring). I have no idea what’ll happen with Brian Roberts at second base and wish we’d gotten a bona fide power hitter at third, but it’s still a team worthy of competing in the AL East, and I can’t wait for the season to start for real.

Meanwhile, if anybody’s looking for reading material while we count down, I was alerted to a new novel called The Perfect Game.

The Perfect Game cover

courtesy of Amazon

Its author, Stephen Paul, describes it as a supernatural thriller, but the reason I’m bringing it up here is that the plot….Well, here’s the setup straight from Paul:

“In a dark Manhattan alley, a young woman suddenly collapses from a brain hemorrhage. The statistics say it’s rare to have happened to someone so young and healthy, yet all signs point to natural causes. But when Kyle Vine, the man she was supposed to meet that night, learns she wasn’t the only victim, he knows there’s something more going on and soon discovers a mysterious link to the sudden success of a journeyman pitcher for the New York Yankees.

As the lethal brain bleeds continue to strike, Kyle and the woman’s eccentric uncle work together to unravel a mystery unlike any the world has ever seen in order to stop a ruthless killer from striking again.

The Perfect Game is a fast-paced gripping ride that will continue to keep readers on the edge of their seats while trying to figure out who’s behind the deadly episodes, how they’re doing it and, perhaps most shocking of all, why.”

See that? The story has a Yankees hook. I’m bogged down with a tight deadline for a book of my own, so I can’t read this one right now. Let me know how it is and if the Yankee is the murderer. (We did have a murderer’s row once upon a time……)

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Inching Closer to Opening Day”

1. Jean says:

Looking at our starting rotation : Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka and now Pineda! Boy, we’ve got the the “A” Team!

Looks good to me too, Jean. Fingers crossed.

I’m excited too, Jane, at least because of the pitching. The hitting doesn’t seem to be quite what we’re used to but hopefully they will do what they need to do. GO YANKEES!!!

4. Terry says:

My season tickets arrived yesterday. I was so excited I kept looking at them all evening. They’re a great mix of long ago and more recent Yankee history.

I like this team a lot!

Nice to see the enthusiasm! Hope springs eternal…..

6. barbara says:

i am excited for baseball. i have been enjoying the non pressure games of spring training. i think we are a bunch of question marks. i don’t know what any of the infield will bring. i don’t know what the rotation will bring. and the bullpen is tons of question marks. so we may be great and we may not.
    a red sox fan saw me and said he waited all day to ask what i thought of ellsbury being injured already and i said i thought he’d ben fine but we have 5 solid outfielders so i’m not worried. outfield and catcher i am not worried about!

7. Dan Page says:

Thanks to a class-action suit against Kindle, I just downloaded “The Perfect Game” for free. :) I’ll let you know how it fairs.

I got that email from Amazon too, Dan. Happy to have the credit for new Kindle books! Yes, do let us know how you like The Perfect Game.

9. barbara says:

i feel bad for nunez being sent down but i love the name yangervis solarte. i’m so curious about this team, i can barely wait. if the outfield wasn’t so crowded we could have have ziolo and zelous for the all names team.

I felt sorry for Nunez too but he’ll be back if they don’t make a trade. Solarte does have a great name. I’ll be interested to see if his spring success was a fluke or if he’s the real deal

11. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans …

HAPPY OPENING DAY FOR THE YANKEES !!!! I’m so happy it’s a night game so I will be able to watch it after work. I have my tickets to Opening Day next Monday at the Stadium…hoping for nice weather and a Yankee win. Here’s hoping DJ has a terrific year ending the way he started his career with a WS Championship… :)

Go Yankees 2014 !!!

P.S. I bought the book The Perfect Game for my kindle but haven’t read it yet…I’ll let you know what I thought of it when I do read it.

Happy Season Opener to you too, Peggy. Will be watching here in CA this afternoon. Would be great to get our first “W!”

13. Dan Page says:

The Yankees were incidental in the plot. It could have been any city’s team. The plot was supernatural in nature and the final scenes were loosely constructed.

Hm. Sounds like you didn’t like the book much, Dan. The description did say it was a supernatural type of thriller, but I was hoping for more of a Yankees storyline.