“I’m Not Emotionally Stunted”

February 19th, 2014 by Jane Heller

Derek-Jeter

Thanks to MLB.com’s live feed, I watched Jeter do the thing he’s least interested in doing: talking to the media. But he carried off today’s “retirement press conference” with aplomb. He was snarky-funny when he viewed the questions as silly. He was thoughtful when reflecting on being a Yankee. He was the consummate teammate when he suggested that instead of hanging around listening to him, the players who were there should go back out on the field to do their work. He was vintage Jeter when asked about his greatest moments: “Winning,” he said.

If it’s possible to enjoy listening to an iconic Yankee discuss why this season will be his last, Jeter made today enjoyable. He reiterated that retirement isn’t until after the season, so there’s no sense in analyzing his legacy or whether he’ll become an instructor at future spring trainings or where he stands in relation to past Yankee legends. He just wants to play. Period.

As for how he’s managed to hold in his emotions during his career and during the press conference, he quipped that it’s not because he’s emotionally stunted – “I have emotions, I just don’t show them” – but because it’s been the only way to sustain his long career in New York with its attendant ups and downs, triumphs and failures. He made so much sense and I loved him all over again.

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to ““I’m Not Emotionally Stunted””

1. john says:

Just booked week in Tampa. Can’t not check out this team and see Jeter’s last spring harrah. If I see Suzie I’ll give her your best.

Glad you’re going this year, John. Be sure to report in and let us know how the 2014 crop looks!

3. margaret says:

I liked this Jeter. He was snarky when needed, “didn’t you read what I wrote?”
    He was funny, “you trying to make me cry?”
    And he looked so annoyed so many times during this “media event” that it made me laugh.
    He seriously looked like he was in pain.

I still say he will be an owner some day. I wish it were the Yankees.
    But it still makes me want to cry. But I’m sure there will be many more of those moment this season watching him.

It’s weird that I’m not teary, Peg. I was during Mo’s press conference. I guess it’ll hit me as the season progresses and we start counting down to….gasp….the end.

5. YankeeCase says:

It still hasn’t really hit me yet. Maybe it’s because we saw it coming with Mariano and all the questions Jorge and Andy got, and the Jeter announcement came out of nowhere last week. This is just an example of the many things, the many aspects of Jeter that we’ll miss soon enough. It started earlier today with classic Jeter and his snarky answers to the media. And then there will be the gifts and salutes from every city he visits, we’ll have his stellar plays, the timely hits, he’ll no doubt be voted into the All-Star game, and then the increasing media attention once the calendar turns to September.

It really makes me wonder what we’ll see at the end of the regular season. Will he be taken out of the game late on September 25th to a standing ovation? Will we actually hears chants of “De-rek Je-ter!” in his last regular season game in Boston?

The one bad thing so far is how out of hand the ticket prices have gotten since the announcement. They’re so disgustingly high for that last Yankee regular season home game. Tickets went on sale today and I couldn’t get any for that game! It’s always a horror show when Yankee tickets go on sale, but this was nuts! I’ll still make it there, of course… Maybe by then it’ll all finally hit me and I’ll realize that most of my favorite Yankee memories have always included Derek Jeter.

I heard about the prices for those tix, YankeeCase. Crazy. But good to know you’ll be there no matter what!

I got to see the whole thing on YES when I got home from work. As always, he was very professional…if I were his mother I would be the proudest woman on earth. His parents really did a great job raising him in to become the man he is. Anyway, there were some funny moments which made it all the better but all in all he said all the things he wanted to say and all the things that we wanted to hear. Its going to be a tough season to get through, especially the last month. But let’s hope they go into the post-season and pray for a ring. GO YANKEES!!!

You’re so right about his parents, Diane. What a good job they did raising him. Now all they need is the right daughter-in-law!

9. Ruth Mulkerin says:

I just hope he can find a woman willing to marry him and have his children. Bahahahaha! in all seriousness, he’s perfect, just PERFECT.

10. Ruth Mulkerin says:

P.S. We nabbed tickets to the Yankees last visit to Camden Yards in Baltimore on September 14th. Luckily they didn’t raise ticket prices before we got them, so we got reasonably priced tickets in the Club level. Hopefully #2 will play that day – a Sunday day game, which might be iffy. But, being the very last game he plays at Baltimore, we’re hoping there will be some festivities. I would love to go to some other of his ‘last games,’ but my budget won’t allow, especially if the gouge is on. Happy to go to one!

There should be festivities, Ruth, whether he plays or not. I’d bring a box of Kleenex if I were you!

Maybe the most impressive news story I’ve yet heard about the Captain’s retirement was the one that noted how most hotel rooms in Cooperstown are ALREADY booked for a certain week in 2020. That week, of course, is the one for HOF inductions that will be 5 years after his last season…

His parents have already dumped all of the previous bee-otches, Jane — my daughter’s ready when he is.

14. SBlue says:

It was a fun press conference. Typical Jeter attitude. No surprise at all. As for the battle of the tickets, sadly I couldn’t get tickets for Jeter’s last regular season game or the fact that the Yankee vultures had the same idea I had about getting the Sunday game tix against the Blue Jays. Why? Gift ceremony to Jeter. Anyway, I did manage to get tix for Sept 24 instead. At least I get to see Jeter one last time…

So happy to hear The Yankees gave Gardner 4 more years. And he still has one year left on his current contract. Correct me if I’m wrong, but The Yankees don’t negotiate until a contract is up; right? GO YANKEES!!!

That was definitely good news, Diane. Happy to have him. As far as contract extensions, I think the Yankees have negotiated with the younger (read: less expensive) players before they hit free agency, just not the big marquee guys.

17. barbara says:

i thought they were going to trade him after the deals this winter so i am excited. i like gardner. i’m so excited about spring training games starting tomorrow. baseball without the worry that’s why i like spring training.

18. barbara says:

once again i got the news from a fanatic red sox intern. when she said did you hear the gardner news i apparently said what with a bit of an attitude and she said she doesn’t just tell me bad news.