Well, Now I’m Gobsmacked

February 12th, 2014 by Jane Heller

NY Mag cover of Jeter

I was away from the computer for what seemed like two seconds, when all hell broke loose on social media. Jeter announced he’s retiring after this season – on his Facebook page, no less – so we’re headed for another round of tears, memories and farewells. I’m happy for him that he’s come to a decision about his future and he sounds at peace with it. It’s just the end of the era – the true end – and I’m not a big fan of endings.

Oh, Captain. I do want him to settle down and start a family and focus on his philanthropic and entrepreneurial projects. I also want him to stay in the sport in some capacity. But mostly I’m trying to imagine Yankeeland without him. And it’s haaaard.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Well, Now I’m Gobsmacked”

1. YankeeCase says:

Just saw this on ESPN NY and my jaw hit the ground… Whoa!

You could sort of see it coming with Mariano Rivera, but Jeter has kept putting off talk of retirement, saying he’ll play as long as he wants (or the Yankees want him). This is a surprise for sure!

But Jeter’s also smart, and he probably doesn’t want to go out fighting with the team about playing shortstop, or get caught up in another contract dispute with this being his final year under contract. He saw all the adoration and praise Mariano and Andy just received and probably would rather go out that way than in some bitter way, or even ending up on another team for another year or two.

I can’t say he’s been my favorite Yankee, but not because of his play or attitude. I think I’ve just always taken him for granted really. I started to get back into baseball around ’94 or so, so I’ve seen Jeter since he was a kid trying to break into the big leagues. For me, he’s always been there. He’s been synonymous with the Yankees for so many people for so long. That’s not to say I don’t like him, only that I’ve had Mariano, Yogi, and even a former player who used to wear number 24 ranked a little higher on my list. But now this will be Jeter’s year, and well deserved. He’ll get the Mariano/Chipper Jones treatment.

And now I’m definitely going to Wrigley Field to see him and the Yankees play against the Cubbies!

2. Freya says:

It’s the news I’ve been dreading, but I knew it was inevitable. I can’t begin to express my sadness. It will be a season of tributes to the Captain. In December I was treated to a Steiner Sports Meet and Greet at Yankee Stadium by my son. Derek was the main attraction. We have a beautiful photo with him which I will treasure forever.

His last regular season home game will be 9/28, I think, against the Orioles. Can’t even picture the outpouring and then his speech. I wonder if they’ll bring back Mo, Andy and Jorge to give him hugs.

4. margaret says:

well I must be psychic because I said last year to hubby that this will be Derek’s last year.
    I knew it but I’m still so damn sad. I hope this is a great year for him! You’re right Jane, another year of tears.

Thank God he didn’t retire the same year at Mariano – I would have had to be sedated. Anyway, they better get him one more ring for his departure. They couldn’t do it for Mariano or Pettitte but they HAVE to for Jeet. GOOOOOOOOO YANKEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. john says:

Within 5 years Jeter will be an owner of the Yankees. This was planned in “The Boss’s” will.

Hahahaha, John. I’d love to see Jeter own the team!

8. Ladyjane303 says:

I’d love to say something witty or profound, but I can’t see through the tears in my eyes to type.3 Going to be a very bittersweet season. Last regular season game is in Boston – figures!

I read that the last regular season games – both home and away – are already sold out as a result of the news. Oof. Can’t even imagine the tears then, Ladyjane.

10. SBlue says:

@john: that would be an awesome plot twist for sure.

What do you mean tickets are sold out? I checked Ticket Master and its not on sale yet.

I misspoke, SBlue. What I meant to say was that there was a huge demand for tickets, both for the final regular season home game and the final game in Boston, along with the demand for Jeter merchandise (caps, jerseys, etc).

12. Ruth says:

This is true about Derek retiring? I had surgery on Wednesday, and on the way home from the hospital, when I was undoubtedly still a little bit “under the influence” of anesthesia and pain meds, I heard the news on the radio. Assumed I was hallucinating. But I guess it’s true. I can’t fully face it. And I’m just poking at you a bit, YankeeCase, but #24??? I’ll give you a little bit of a break if the #24 you’re talking about is Tino Martinez (he did wear #24, right?), but if you mean Mr. Cano, well, now I’m gobsmacked. Derek may not be on the Mount Rushmore of Yankee history, as the silly debate goes, but as far as any Yankee of the past 25 years (besides Mariano, I know, but even then he’s not an every day force like Jeet has been), you can’t touch Jeter…certainly someone who bails on the Yankees and goes to the baseball graveyard of Seattle shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath. (Bitter much, Ruth?) But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you are certainly a bigger Yankee fan than I, so you can come to your own conclusions. But, to me, it will never be the same without #2. To me he is the greatest Yankee because of the degree of difficulty of sports these days. He’s played under a microscope 24/7/365 and has never disappointed. Never. Love him and wish him all the best. He sure has provided so much joy over the years. Now, if we could just have a fairy tale ending for him, that would be the cherry on top.

Sorry to hear about your surgery, Ruth. Hope you’re OK now. What a way to come out of anesthesia and find out about Jeter! I might have said, “Give me more meds!” A fairy tale ending for him would be lovely. I just hope he stays healthy throughout the season.

14. YankeeCase says:

Hey Ruth, hope you’re doing better after your surgery. If you had to go under anesthesia, then it must’ve been pretty serious. Hope all is well!!

Sorry, I just re-read what I wrote and I see that could be a little confusing. I didn’t really proofread (cuz i’m a fool…). I definitely didn’t mean to say that Cano would be ranked higher than Jeter on any list. I only meant as a personal favorite of mine. Jeter is without a doubt at the top of the list of the most important Yankee over the last 25 years, and I would definitely put him up on my own Mount Rushmore of all-time Yankees (what a weird debate Lebron sparked, huh?).

Cano was a favorite of mine because I love seeing the minor leaguers come up and prove themselves and he became such an important part of the team, this after we had some trouble finding another 2nd baseman after trading Soriano away for A-Rod. Of course I saw Jeter come up too, but Cano’s Dominican and I’m Dominican, so… you know. It was so unbelievable to have a bona fide Dominican star that the Yankees raised and cultivated for themselves. It gave me an extra dose of pride knowing he was from the same country as my parents. And then he killed all that goodwill and pride I had when he betrayed the Yankees for extra years and extra cash, making me feel a little empty inside. The money was more important than being a Yankee apparently. (the new dominican fave will be Nova now…) (btw, Tino was also a favorite of mine too!)

So, with all that said (and that was a lot, wasn’t it? lol), we’ve seen Jeter day in and day out for so many years, always being there, always making the play that counted, that it feels like maybe I just took him for granted. He definitely is on my favorites list, he just wasn’t listed as high to me as others were. But make no doubt about it, I cheer for him and always believe that he’ll come up with the big play in the big moments. I’m sure Jane remembers how I said he’d be back in regular Jeter form after his poor 2011 season, and he was. I never thought he was done and he proved all the naysayers wrong in 2012.

I bought my first Yankee road jersey last year, and I made it a number 2, Derek Jeter jersey. I’ll be wearing it quite a bit this year, celebrating a first ballot Hall of Fame career, and one day I’ll be able to tell my kids I saw Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte and Bernie Williams and others play in Yankee Stadium with my very own eyes.

(How does Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Jeter sound for a Mount Rushmore of Yankees?)

15. Ruth says:

YankeeCase, I feel better and I have no idea why it matters! :) It gives me solace to know, too, that I am not the only one bitter about #24. Funny, whenever my friends bitch about players leaving for the money, I tell them to chill, because that’s just the way it is these days. But when it happened to “me,” I couldn’t believe it. I guess I think leaving the Yankees is crazy, because I view them as “special,” certainly more special than other organizations. Not special enough for Mr. Cano, I guess. Good luck to him!