Yankee Sighting!

December 16th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Mo&YankeeCase

Our friend of the blog, YankeeCase (over on the right), was at a signing tonight with his cousin (over on the left) and met Mo of all people (the guy in the middle). Needless to say, I’m drooling with envy.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Yankee Sighting!”

1. margaret says:

Well now, that is what I call a Merry Christmas!!!

2. YankeeCase says:

He was as warm and genuine as everyone says he is, and this was three hours into this session! I can only imagine what it must be like meeting random people all day, but he greeted me as if I were a friend, as if I were someone he knew. In turn, I felt as if I knew him too because I did. With as many games as we watch, and with the many times we’ve seen Mariano interviewed, we’ve all created some kind of Mariano character in our heads that’s just too good to be true. He really is exactly what you’d think he is, though, which was amazing not to be disappointed.

The guy was even joking and laughing with me. I wanted him to sign my jersey one way (in between the numbers), and the ‘handler’ on the right told me it’d be better off signing on the number 4 instead. Mo gave me a look and I said, “However you want to do it, Mariano.” He laughed and said, “Ok, I hope you trust me.” “Of course I do!” is what I should have said!

As we left, I shook his hand a second time and told him, “Gracias por todo, Mariano.” (Thanks for everything). In true Mariano fashion, he said, “God bless you.” The man lived up to and went beyond my expectations. I only wish I had more than just a few minutes to tell him that he’s my favorite Yankee ever, and how his class and humility meant more to me than his ability to close out a game.

3. margaret says:

okay Yankee Case you just made me cry.

You are so right the man is Grade A Class Act.

Thank you. This made my day. :-)

That must have been an unbelievable experience. I’ve met a few famous people from different avenues of fame – from The Yankees, I met George Steinbrenner, Paul O’Neal and Bob Sheppard. All were extremely wonderful…but to meet Mariano!!! That would be the best! Congrats YankeeCase!

I love hearing that he lived up to our expectations, YankeeCase. Sometimes you meet your idols in life and they disappoint. But from everything people have told me about Mo, he’s the genuine article. So glad you got to spend that time with him. What a gift he’s been to all of us.

6. YankeeCase says:

Oh, sorry Margaret! I didn’t mean to make you cry, but I’m glad to have made your day!

Diane, I would love to have met The Boss and Bob Sheppard before they passed… What iconic baseball legends! I’m sure you were smiling ear to ear!

7. YankeeCase says:

Jane, that was probably the best part, just to see that he was in fact the real deal. I’m telling everyone who will listen about me and my pal Mariano! lol…

I was, YankeeCase. I have a picture taken with Bob and I met The Boss at Spring Training. We were all waiting in line for autographs and he looked up and said, “I’ll stay here as long as anyone wants, but please let the children come up first”. He was a real doll.

9. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

Just dropping by to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season. I hope it’s filled with love and laughter for you and yours. Enjoy and be safe wherever your holiday travels may take you. I asked Santa to deliver my gift in October…Championship 28 !!!

Merry Christmas…Happy New Year…Happy Holidays !!!

Go Yankees 2014!!!

P.S…..I’m so jealous of you, YankeeCase. How wonderful to meet Mo up close and personal …to chat and get pics. Lucky, lucky you !!

Hi Peggy, a very happy holiday to you too! You just reminded me to post a holiday greeting on the blog!