I’ll Miss You, Robbie

December 6th, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Ed Szczepanski/USA Today

Photo: Ed Szczepanski/USA Today

What a crazy turnaround. Head-spinning. First the talks with the Mariners blew up when Jay Z upped the ante on them. Then they actually went for it, and pending a physical Cano is now a Mariner. Gulp.

Source: Robinson Cano, M’s agree
By Enrique Rojas | ESPNDeportes.com

Robinson Cano and the Seattle Mariners have agreed to sign a 10-year, $240-million contract, a source told ESPNdeportes.com Friday.

The player and his agents met Thursday night in Seattle with the Mariners’ top executives and the team made an offer he couldn’t refuse, the source added.

The source said Cano will return to Seattle on Sunday and will undergo a physical on Monday to complete what would be the third largest contract in history, tied with the one that Albert Pujols signed with Los Angeles Angels three years ago.

Alex Rodriguez has the top two contracts in baseball history. In the winter of 2007, A-Rod signed a 10-year, $275 million extension with the New York Yankees, replacing the 10-year and $252 million pact that had been stamped with Texas in December 2000 .

I admit I’m glad the Yankees didn’t go for that contract, but I’m sad that for Cano it really was about the money. I wish him well.

P.S. Ditto: Curtis Granderson. According to Joel Sherman at the Post, he’s a Met for four years.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “I’ll Miss You, Robbie”

1. barbara says:

it sure is going to be different next year. i think ellsbury should have gone to seattle–he’s from the area– and robbie back to ny but the money is crazy.
    on another note–mccann looks better with a beard. i not sure why the yankees need to still dictate the players facial hair.
    still awaiting pitching.

2. john says:

Bye, bye!

10 years is absurd.

Wait! Is that sleigh bells I hear? Yes Santa is coming again with more signings! Fear not fellow fans. All will be well in Yankeeland !

3. Ruth says:

Disappointed it was about contract and money for him, but he will be irrelevant now that he’s on the West Coast, and with the Mariners, no less. He’s not a leader, so I doubt his potential big numbers will be enough to turn around Seattle. But he can be a star there, whereas in the Bronx he could never carry the Yankees, after Jeet is gone, which is would he would have to do with that length of contract. He’s not capable…I don’t think he has the heart of a champion. What, me, bitter???

On the other hand, I’m glad the Yankees learned something from the ARod debacle and did not cave to yet another ridiculous contract…..after the Ellsbury one, I mean,…this is a weird business.

Hate to lose Robbie the same year as we lose Mariano, but I agree with The Yankees that they should not have made a bigger offer than Seattle did. Oh well, onward and upward. GO YANKEES!!!

Barbara, I agree about McCann and his beard. Haha. But a policy is a policy! And yes, all, 10 years was absurd for Cano. Just a tough loss though. Oh well.

I have a son who, like many, loves to buy & wear athletes’ replica jerseys.
    A few years ago, he spent some big bucks to buy an authentic-looking Cano jersey and yet another Miami Dolphins one. He must have half a dozen Dolphins jerseys, all of them worthless now (except Marino), because every single one was traded or released. It’s a family joke — but when he got Cano’s, I told him that at least he had the good sense to get ONE top-notch baseball jersey that would be reliable & dependable forever.
    Forever lasted about 3 years, I think.
    At least our Yanks are wise enough to never put names on their backs. Cano’s number once belonged to Ricky Henderson — and after that, Tino Martinez. Here’s hoping that the next #24 is another future great…

7. margaret says:

So let me understand this….no Robbie, no pitching and only buying old timers.
    I’m not feeling optimistic.
    I get why we didn’t give a 31 yr old a ten yr contract.
    But it’s a big loss no matter how you paint this picture.
    crap!

8. barbara says:

so i see another who isn’t feeling optimistic,
    i just saw kuroda signed that helps!

I was glad about Kuroda, but I’d really love to see a young arm plus the Japanese pitcher once they get that posting situation out of the way, as well as a solid late inning reliever.

10. YankeeCase says:

I feel sick to my stomach, Jane…

I’m so sorry, YankeeCase. I know how you love Robbie. But just think how rich he’ll be now!

12. Barbara says: