Really, Yankees?

December 3rd, 2013 by Jane Heller

jacoby_ellsbury_5

Seven years and $150+ million?

I was out for dinner tonight when I happened to check my phone at the restaurant and saw the headline about the signing. I was, in a word, gobsmacked. Not that we went after Ellsbury. Why not acquire a speedy outfielder who isn’t ancient. Why not bring over another Red Sock. Why not add a lefty lead-off type hitter. All fine with me. But seven years? At that price? Are the Yankees saving anything for Cano? Kelly Johnson, Omar Infante, Brendan Ryan and Eduardo Nunez put together won’t give us the production of Cano. But maybe there’s enough in the Steinbrenner vault for everybody, and all the stuff about the payroll and the luxury tax and the fiscal belt tightening was a load of hooey.

Or maybe there’s a level of certainty that A-Rod’s salary won’t be clogging things up next year, so there’s more for others, who knows. What I do know is that I understood the McCann signing. But seven years for Ellsbury? Isn’t he hurt a lot? Doesn’t he have a bit of a reputation for not being a team player? Isn’t seven years a long time in baseball years? Or do I just miss Granderson? And don’t we need – I mean seriously need – starting pitching? And not just one arm but three?

I wasn’t sorry the Tigers got Joe Nathan, not us, except that they’re going to be tougher than ever over there. And A. J. Pierzynski a Red Sock? Ugh, I’m not wild about having to put up with him 100 times a season.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Really, Yankees?”

1. john says:

Ho, ho, ho he came again and still no Cano.

More to come!

2. Terri says:

He is hurt a lot, Jane – and I hope for your sake they’re not paying him a lot of money to sit on the bench. He had one near-MVP year (2011) when he was hitting homers left and right, but after he hurt his shoulder, that stopped completely. The argument has always been whether or not Ellsbury is fragile or just a victim of bad luck (I believe it’s both) but you’re absolutely right – he’s not much of a team player or locker-room guy and bruised ego is his most common injury :)

He’s a wonderful player when healthy, he really is. He’s dynamic and he gives pitchers headaches on the basepaths, which is nothing to sneeze at. But I agree — too much and too many years.

Pitching is big on the shopping list, Jane, but there’s time and remember, the spending limit was set by the management, not any league rules – if someone become available that they want, the WILL get him. I keep hearing that Seattle has made a big offer to Cano and that The Yankees have less than a 50/50 shot at re-signing him but most of the sports experts I’ve heard on the radio think he will be a Yankee come April. With Ellsbury, I am kind of scared about how often he goes on the DL and how long the contract is, but he will be a good addition to the team in many ways. With all of the steroid stuff, I think we’re going to see a steady decline in home runs going forward, so if we can get some players who can get on base and steal to get in scoring position, that’s a plus. We’ll see what happens, but in the meantime, its fun to hear the Red Sox fans upset. GO YANKEES!!!

Are you really waiting for Cano, John? I’m becoming less convinced that’ll happen, especially now.

You summed up my concerns perfectly, Terri. I don’t get it, I really don’t. It smacks of desperation if you ask me. He’s not the type of marquee guy I’d build a team around.

Speed is always a plus, Diane, so I’m glad to have a player who’s fast and can generate runs not just via the homer. And I can’t see Jay-Z sending Cano to the hinterlands of the Mariners. The money issue was important to management, but I guess ticket sales and YES ratings were down to such a point where they’re eager for a rebound.

5. barbara says:

he’s hurt a lot and doesn’t come back quickly. he has a little league arm. he has no power except one year–what was he on that year? he has speed that won’t keep for 7 years. it’s a lot of money. and we have almost no pitching. that is my worry. my new supervisee worked at the dominican red sox camp and said ortiz and cano are really nice. no word on ellsbury.
    we need pitching.

I’m sure we’ll get pitching, Barbara. There’s a rumor today about one of the A’s good young pitchers. But I’m pretty mystified by the Ellsbury deal. He’s younger than Beltran and an upgrade hitting wise over Gardner but still.

7. Terry S says:

Ellsbury is one of my favorite players. Five years would not have surprised me. Seven years did, but I’m okay with it. He has had bad luck with a couple of serious injuries, but I don’t see him as injury prone. I don’t think he has ever gotten the credit he deserved in Boston. He’s too clean cut and professional for that crowd. He is an elite baseball player, not just a very good one. I look forward to him making the Yankees better for several years (maybe not seven, but he may surprise everyone).

I hope you’re right, Terry. I’m always happy to be surprised.

9. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans …

Hey ..here you go …

AL scout: “Why are people worried about the length of the Ellsbury contract? When he slows down the Yankees will be signing Trout anyway.

And ..he could be right. I don’t mind Jacoby but I also agree that the 7 years is a wee bit much. If he stays healthy he is actually a great buy. I just hope they get the pitching right and I want Cano back. I can’t see him in Seattle…Cano likes the bright lights of the big city. Jay-Z is a huge Yankee fan too so I’m hoping he finally decides to stay in pinstripes.

Last but not least regarding the $189…this made me laugh …

Andrew Marchand @AndrewMarchand

I think they should open the presser and have Hal say, “About that $189M thing, gotcha!!!… Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!!!”

Have a great day all ….

Go Yankees 2014 !!

I read that Trout line and the Marchand one, Peggy, and laughed too. But “a great buy” on Ellsbury? Can’t agree with you there. I think they overpaid. Can’t see Cano in Seattle either and George King says the Mariners aren’t all that willing to spend $$$ after all, so maybe the market isn’t as rosy as Jay-Z thought.

11. Peggy says:

I did say “”if Ells stays healthy” he could be a great buy. The money isn’t the concern for me..only the years. Yankees have plenty of money if they truly want to spend ….

Go Yankees 2014 !!

I still disagree, Peggy. He’s not a marquee player and he’ll decline in later years as all players do – and he has a history of injuries. “If he stays healthy” can be applied to any of the players; we just never know with athletes. But in general, I can’t see spending the money on him and not figure out how to make a deal with Cano should that not happen, plus acquire top notch pitching.