It’s Official: The Party’s Over

September 25th, 2013 by Jane Heller

party's over

As I wrote last night, I wish these last home games had been more fun, but tonight was another exercise in futility and marked the Yankees’ official elimination from the postseason. It also marked what was likely to be Hughes’ last start in pinstripes. I’m sure there will be others who are allowed (encouraged) to walk too.

Just a few words about Hughes. He was supposed to be our next great hope, our home grown phenom. It didn’t happen. I have no doubt he’ll flourish in an NL ballpark and I wish him well. He had his moments. The question is how can we get four Kershaws?

I wouldn’t want to be Cashman this off-season. What a challenge he’ll face on so many levels.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “It’s Official: The Party’s Over”

1. YankeeCase says:

SIGH………

Well I guess I can finally stop holding my breath.

I can truly say that this season has been the most up and down year yet, and that includes last year’s crazy end, and 2005 and 2007. We fought, we battled, we didn’t give up, we stank, we struggled, we didn’t even know what the next day would bring, what new injuries and wounds would come! And funny enough, I say all these things and I’m talking about the season and my own personal relationship these past few months. I can’t even overstate how everything mirrored to a T! All the way to the very end…

We thought we saw a light at the end of the tunnel, there was hope to come! We were making it back, proving the naysayers wrong! A few weeks ago, we were right there, just where we had been trying to get back to for months! But life, among other things starting with the letter ‘L’, is so cruel. We kept things going, seeing ourselves come together to be what we saw ourselves to be from the very beginning, but it just wasn’t enough. We thought maybe our good faith would be rewarded at the end. We thought hope was real. But in the end, only pain is real.

The signs were there the whole time, but we just didn’t want to admit it to ourselves. Only looking back do we see that we never had a shot.

But we move on. This is how life goes. We take stock of everything that went wrong, everything that went right, and we try to better ourselves for the next time. For now I feel a bit devastated. I’d rather find a more understated word, but that’s the best I can come up with right now.

I tried not posting, hoping, or believing I was the cause of all our bad luck, and that keeping my mouth (err, fingers?) shut on here would end up doing our team some good, but to no avail. I guess superstitions are out for me. They didn’t really help much, did they?

But I can’t help but feel that, much like 2008, there was something bigger at play here. In 2008 I felt that the ghosts of Yankee Stadium pretty much told us, “If you’re going to knock me down, then we will all know my final day for sure! September 21, 2008!” (You have to imagine it in a deep, ominous voice)

And so the same with Mariano. I went to as many games as I could. The last time I went to this many games, ironically enough, was 2008. So once more the ghosts said, “If this Yankee legend is for sure hanging them up, then we will all know his final home game for sure! September 26, 2013!” (Same voice)

I suffered, cried (dude!), laughed, and cheered all the way with you, Jane, and all the gals and guys here. I take solace in the fact that at the end of that 2008 season, there was something that felt missing deep down inside me. Something felt dead and gone, no longer alive. I knew I had to change things in my life and I did. Now, at the end of this season, at the end of these past few unbelievable up and down months personally, the pain I feel only serves to prove that I’ve fixed what was wrong back then.

Because pain means you’re alive, right?

(Thanks Jane, for letting me rant a bit…)

Cleveland won last night so even if The Yankees had won the post-season would have been closed out. It was a tough season to get through but they did all the could. I’m going to be very unhappy if Girardi does end up leaving – same about Cano. I think the first is more likely than the second but who knows? I agree with you, Jane, Cashman’s job is going to be a tough one since the owners want to lower the salary level considerably. Anyway, tonight’s game should be a lovely event for Mariano again. Then just a handful of games in Tx. (Andy gets to pitch his final game in his home state) and then baseball is “officially” over until 2014. GO YANKEES!!!

Oh, YankeeCase. Sounds like it’s been a rough year for you – and I’m not talking about the Yankees. I’m sorry about that. (And no, superstitions don’t get the job done. Give them up.) On the baseball front, it’s sad that the Yanks struggled and fought back and did better than the pundits thought they would, but there were too many factors at work for them to be true contenders this year, including that other teams were just better. It happens. We’ve had a great run for a long time, give or take first-round exits in the playoffs, but the injury bug and the age bug and down-seasons for some of our pitchers took their toll. Next up will be renewal – new faces mixed in with the old. It’ll be fun to see what happens. xo to you.

I wonder if Girardi will stay, Diane. Earlier in the season I thought it was a foregone conclusion. Not so sure now. On the other hand, he’s a fighter and he may not want to leave after such a rough season. Management might really press him (and pay him) to stay through the transition, given what a great job he did. As for Cano? I assume they’ll pay him whatever he wants, but I just hope there’s enough left for a few others.

4. yankeefansince1941 says:

I miss George.

In some ways, yankeefansince1941. But I bet he would have jumped to pay big $$$ for FAs like Hamilton and look how that turned out for the Angels? What I miss is a farm system.

6. ladyjane303 says:

I’m sorry. I like Robinson Cano as much as any Yankee fan, but management would be nuts to pay him $300 million for 10 years. Lessons must have been learned from recent history of these long term mega deals with players who fizzled out half way through. Hopefully more reasonable heads will ultimately prevail.

I’m with you, ladyjane. When I read that number earlier today, it sounded totally nuts to me. I’d offer a lot less money and fewer years and let the chips fall. If he finds a team willing to go along with that, so be it. We have enough big contracts to deal with.