Goodbye, Mo

September 22nd, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Courtesy CBS Sports/USATSI

Photo: Courtesy CBS Sports/USATSI

There’s only so much crying a person can take. I was wailing my brains out during Mo’s farewell and then Pettitte’s walk off the mound: a doubleheader of pain. The game didn’t do much to lift my spirits either, but it was the Yankees’ season in a nutshell. They either got good pitching and no offense this year or lots of offense and bad pitching.

Poor Zoilo Almonte. He made a rookie mistake hesitating at third base in a crucial situation. And Murphy’s strikeout to end the game was rough. But that’s what happens when your bench is full of kids. Sigh.

The right script would have been for Andy to get the win and Mo to notch the save. It wasn’t meant to be.

Mostly what I thought as I watched today was that I don’t want the old guys to leave us. I don’t like the new guys. I want the old guys to stay forever. I wonder what was going through Jeter’s mind as he hugged his departing teammates.

I’ll stop now before I get too maudlin. Yes, there are a few games left, but not in the Bronx. Sob.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Goodbye, Mo”

1. Ladyjane303 says:

Aside from the outcome of the game, it was a wonderful day in The Bronx. The Yankees did a great job with the ceremony. Very emotional – unlike you, I kind of had to hold the tears in check being out in public and all. But I’ll watch the DVR later and let it all out. The end of an era, and what fun it’s been to be along for the ride.

I figured you were there, Ladyjane. The Yankees really know how to put on a show, and I had no doubt the ceremony would be first class. I would love to have been there, but I have to say that Kay and company on YES did a great job. Loved seeing Jorge in the booth. It was cool how they pointed out that while past ceremonies had older Yankees like Whitey and Reggie and Yogi on the field, they brought out only former players who actually played with Mo. Anyhow, enjoy watching again and cry your heart out!

3. SBlue says:

It was a first class ceremony all the way. I was laughing when the band Metallica came out and gave Mo an amp. The best part was when Mo smiling in front of his new shiny retired number in the Park, gives me chills.

4. Freya says:

I was there yesterday. It was an exciting day with a bad ending. The ceremony was very emotional and done with Yankee class. The sold out stadium was electric! It was a perfect day for Mo. It’s so hard to say goodbye to an era. It’s been great having Mo and Andy all these years. I wonder how much longer we will have Jeter.
    As for the game, Andy pitched great – only gave up two hits. We had hits but no runs. It was pathetic, and our hopes for the wild card seem to be disappearing.

That had to be the classiest “good-bye” I have ever seen. Sorry it had to be on television but it was still a wonderful experience. I too cried like a baby…I’m sure most Yankees fans did. It was especially exciting to see Robinson’s widow and daughter there – amazing. I was very upset to see them not able to get a win during that momentous day, but it is what it is. We’ll see what happens as we continue the short rest of the season. GO YANKEES!!!

I think we all agree what a classy goodbye it was. So many wonderful memories. And as you say, Freya, it’s not just goodbye to Mo but goodbye to an era. At least Andy pitched well for his final start at home, and could hear the crowd’s appreciation. I loved his curtain call.

7. yankeefansince1941 says:

When I was a kid in Queens Village, New York and the giants and dodgers were still in New York, my two best friends were Dodger fans. Every year, when the season was over and the dodgers failed to win the world series or even win the pennant, my friends would always say, “Wait til next year.” I would like to say that now about the Yankees. But when I consider that A-Rod may be suspended, Jeter may not be healthy, Kurota is getting old, C.C. is no longer C.C., Pettitte is gone, Mo is gone, Hughes has been a disappointment and only Nova appears to be a viable starter, I wonder if we shouldn’t be looking ahead three or more years. Can Pineda, Phelps, Nuno and Robertson make us winners again? I like our outfield with Grandy, Gardner, Soriano, and Ichiro, but we still need a shortstop and will have to settle for Nunez at third. I just celebrated my 81st birthday and wonder if I’ll ever see another championship.
    Cheer me up, please.

First of all, Happy Birthday, yankeefansince1941!!!!!!! That’s something to cheer about, isn’t it? As for the Yanks, I think it’s wise to look ahead three+ years, although results could certainly come sooner. As long as there’s a nucleus of players around which to build a team, they’ll be okay. I’d love for Pineda to be a star, but I need to see the guy in a few games before I get too excited. As for the outfield, I’m not entirely sure Granderson will be back – maybe for a year if he’s willing to take it – and Ichiro is well past his prime. Soriano is too, but I love his bat. Gardner’s a keeper for sure. I wonder about Nunez. I can’t tell what the organization’s plans for him are at this point. But you know the Yankees. They won’t stay down for long. They have that big Stadium to fill! Have hope!