This Picture Says It All

September 15th, 2013 by Jane Heller

woman-holds-her-nose

The Yankees stunk – all of them. I know some are the walking wounded, but even the un-wounded ones stunk.

I mean Ichiro? He looked like a Little Leaguer in the outfield. No, wait. A Little Leaguer could have gotten to some of those balls in right.

But I don’t want to single him out, because there’s enough blame to go around.

Poor Yankees. What a humiliating way to spend a weekend. I even felt sorry for ESPN for having to broadcast that game.

I did like the Red Sox’s tribute to Mo though and he seemed to enjoy it too. So there was that. But basically, it’s looking like this team will limp to the finish line and try to regroup next season. Somehow.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “This Picture Says It All”

That was probably the worst series I’ve ever seen The Yankees play. And with more injuries, I’m not feeling too good about the rest of this season. There’s still hope though. But Jane, please don’t look at what Boston did for Mariano as a tribute…they were celebrating the fact that they NEVER have to see him again. LOL – GO YANKEES!!!

Haha, Diane. I wish they did have to see him again in the postseason, but that’s not happening unless something miraculous happens.

3. Terry S says:

I think after a much needed day off, the guys will be back and ready for the playoff push. The series was demoralizing, but these guys are far too resilient to stay down for long.

They’ve been very resilient, Terry. The problem now is one of attrition. The injuries just keep piling up.

5. Harold Schwartz says:

As the oldest (probably) blogger am I the only one who sees that this Yankee team is simply not good enough to make the playoffs? Is everyone deluding him and herself to believe that this collection of has-beens and never weres will make it this year? A weak team to begin with, they have been devastated by injuries and it’s time to face reality as hard as that may be. The really tough part is realizing that we will likely be in for several lean years, with the few good players getting older and not a lot of replacements to be had from the farm and not much to be used as trade bait. I have been an avid, Barbara might say rabid, fan since 1936 and have been through the glory days and the last place finishes as well. There were too high expectations right from the start and I’m afraid it will be a while before our Yankees are serious contenders. Sad but true. The Jeters and the Riveras get old, as did the DiMaggios and the Mantles and until replacements can be found it will a few long seasons.
    Harold

6. Freya says:

Sorry to say that I agree with Harold. I am a lifelong Yankee fan and will always be one regardless of how they are doing. I was at the stadium when Mantle et. al. were playing and I’m still going to games. Now we need to get younger and better and that will take time.

I agree with both of you, Harold and Freya, especially about the lean years ahead. Our farm system is not well stocked, otherwise we would have seen the talent at this late stage of the season with so many regulars injured. I don’t doubt the heart of the team – they’ve been battling as best they can, given the limitations – but in the end there are better teams out there. That’s just the reality of the situation.