True Yankee

September 12th, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Rob Carr/Getty Images North America

Photo: Rob Carr/Getty Images North America

We can always count on Orioles closer Jim Johnson to help the cause, and he proved that again tonight in the ninth by gagging up a throwing error and a wild pitch. Wow. What a wild game and a tense-but-fun win.

It started off with yet another injury, naturally. I could not believe when Gardner touched his side in obvious pain after a checked swing in the very first inning and now has an oblique strain. That type of injury can take forever to heal and, without being all doom and gloomy, I doubt we’ll see him again any time soon.

Luckily, his substitute, the Grandy Man, came through with another homer and so did Mark Reynolds, and Soriano’s two catches (especially the one that must have given Robertson the same heart attack it gave me) were spectacular.

What a horrible eighth inning for D-Rob. Just miserable. Girardi had such a short leash with Hughes and Huff (I know, I know; it was his master plan to have them each go three innings), so he must have seen that Robertson didn’t have his good stuff but left him in anyway. I guess there was no one else.

Brendan Ryan was the unlikely hero scoring the go-ahead run, and Mo’s arm, which has to be hanging on by a thread at this point, should be enshrined in the Hall of Fall all by itself. Weird that the official scorer didn’t give him the save but rather the win, calling Robertson’s outing too “brief and ineffective.”

I don’t know how long the Yanks can keep this up, but they’re making these last games interesting, that’s for sure.

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “True Yankee”

1. SBlue says:

Soriano scared me a bit when he looked depressed walking away from the wall until he threw the ball back. I was happy he caught it! Then D-Rob came and you the rest but luckily we hanged on to win.

Now its time for the BoSox. Oh boy…

Soriano was hilarious with that fake out, SBlue, once I and everybody else realized he had caught the ball. What a comedian.

I went to bed with the score 5-2 feeling somewhat secure but knowing anything could happen (after all, less than a week ago we blew a much bigger lead!). I was not happy when the tweet came announcing Valencia’s 3-run homer, especially since I knew it had to have come off Robertson. D-Rob’s inconsistency this year is a problem, as is Gardner’s injury. But we’re closer to the post season than any of us would have thought we could be a month ago so here’s hoping for more miracles.

That run that Soriano saved was huge, Jane. I know that odds of our boys making it to The World Series are slim to none, but if they do, he’s definitely the MVP. I feel bad about Gardy – his bat hasn’t been hot lately but you know he is a big part of the team both offensively and defensively. When will the injuries end?!!! We didn’t gain any ground last night but at least we didn’t lose any either. Now on to Boston. Kind of scared, but this team thinks they can win so we’ll see what happens. GO YANKEES!!!

…and what was that whole “2 Strikes” thing with Stewart? I don’t understand how that isn’t up to the home plate umpire to advise the batter that he’s still at bat.

That “2 strikes” thing with Stewart was ridiculous, Diane! The umpire was asleep at the switch!

I know I’m probably hypersensitive to it because I am a Yankee fan but it really does seem like the umpires go out of their way to make bad calls or non-calls on the Yanks. Last Friday night’s game probably would have been won by us if the plate umpire had made the right call on that check swing that was actually the third strike.

I honestly think there have been bad calls in general, Audrey. Every team has complained. Maybe it’s worse this year, I don’t know, but I hope the expanded replay they’re instituting next year will help.