My Stomach Hurts

September 5th, 2013 by Jane Heller

woman-with-stomach-ache

I’m serious. It’s still in knots an hour after that game. Talk about highs and lows. Sheesh. That one was a killer, although it was extremely entertaining, as most Yankees-Red Sox games are.

The first surprise (and not in a good way) was Nova. Once again, the old adage of what seems like a nice match-up on paper doesn’t always turn out that way. He’s been our best pitcher lately, but not tonight. Gone without getting to the sixth.

Another surprise: Joe’s use of Mo. Again. Why not use Robertson for two innings since he clearly had his stuff tonight (unlike last night when I trashed him)? Mo’s been in each of the last few games and I was sure he’d be unavailable. Even so, he was so close to a save, but a combo of a not-so-great pitch and Romine’s error (not a good night for him at all) and Jeter’s non-catch of Romine’s throw did him in.

And then there was Joba. Really, Joe? Why do you keep going to him in big situations? Yes, he got robbed by Joe West on that checked swing call, but he can’t be trusted. His ball doesn’t move. He doesn’t fool hitters.

Bravo to the offense. They came allllllll the way back in a gutsy, exciting way, only to peter out at the end. Such a shame.

Now if only my stomach would stop hurting. Ouwwww.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “My Stomach Hurts”

My stomach still hurts and it’s the next morning, Jane. That was a horrible ending to hate to sleep on. I thought the seventh inning would make all those hours of listening to Curt Schilling blather on (He’s a little more palatable on ESPN but truly detestable when he’s on NESN). But the ninth was painful. Don’t forget Soriano’s botched steal attempt. With one out and a (fast) runner in scoring position I couldn’t believe he got himself picked off. Arrgh!

2. Terri says:

I was actually pretty darn mad about that checked swing call myself, Jane. I hate when a call by the umpires – especially Joe West, who seems kind of arrogant to me – seems to seal the game up like that. How is Victorino’s swing NOT a strike, but Granderson’s earlier was? Granderson didn’t swing nearly as much and was trying to get out of the way of a pitch; his wrists moved awkwardly, but it looked like he held up to me. Ugh. Hate that.

Sorry about your stomach! :( It was a wild one.

3. Saphire916 says:

That was probably the best game I’ve ever been to (including the box seats), but I admit that I left when Joba came in. At that point it was after 11, and I just don’t have a good feeling when Joba comes in. I haven’t read anything on the game yet, but I swear I saw a balk to Grandy in the bottom of the 9th. Also, Soriano’s second steal just didn’t seem necessary. It looked like it was done out desperation (which I know we were) but it just didn’t seem like we needed it.

Also, as a side note…when a fan started screaming that Victorino should have 2 months of diarrhea, John Sterling leaned out of the booth to yell at him. It was very funny. I’m sure John was only yelling because his listeners could probably hear the guy, but it was funny nonetheless.

Can we call that one “A Renaj” since it was clearly the opposite of “A Janer”? What was Soriano’s logic when he got caught off trying to go from 2nd to 3rd? The comeback was exciting but the loss was devastating. I don’t know what else to say, other than The Yankees have to win at least 2…if not 3 of this series. GO YANKEES!!!

5. Leo says:

That umpire’s union must be really powerful because year after year, time and time again, we have to bear witness to some awful umpiring and they are NEVER held accountable for anything even when they are clearly wrong. Let me get a job as a MLB umpire. I would love to have a job where I can screw up with no consequences. Yes we are human and we make mistakes but too bad because at many other jobs or careers you would get fired for screwing up that many times. It’s such a shame how far Joba has fallen an it’s a never ending debate about his screwed up development but ultimately he is accountable for own his results and must own up to them.

Don’t you get the MLB Network, Audrey? They had the game too. Soriano is such a favorite of mine, but what the hell was he up to on the bases? Crazy.

Joe West must have had a bug up his ass that he was even assigned to this series, Terri. He’s made no secret of how he thinks our games are too long. He should retire if he doesn’t want to work that hard.

Sterling yelled at a fan, Saphire? That’s hilarious. I had him and Suzyn on in the background while I was making dinner, because I couldn’t see the TV in the kitchen, and I didn’t hear that. Glad you had fun at the Stadium.

No words about Soriano, Diane. I repeat: Crazy.

Joba reminds me of Farnsworth, Leo. The ball goes straight, doesn’t have movement. He’s old enough to have learned there’s some finesse to the art of pitching. I just don’t think he’s smart enough to “get it.”

No MLB Network here – I’m stuck with NESN again tonight:(