Nunie Gets The Gatorade Shower

September 3rd, 2013 by Jane Heller

gatorade-shower-head-wall-mounted-2013-dave-delisle-davesgeekyideas

There’s nothing like a comeback win. What a great game it turned out to be. I was all mopey before the Yankees scored their five big runs in the eighth. Chris Sale is a really good pitcher (Can we please get him, Cashman?), and things were looking bleak for the boys. I was taking a walk during the first couple of innings, listening on my iPhone, and a black cat ran across my path right before Jeter got hit on the ankle. I thought, Pleeeease no. So glad he was fine. At least he seemed fine.

When Cano knocked Sale out of the game, my mood brightened and I knew there was a chance for us. And then it was single, single single, single, single, single. (OK, I don’t know how many singles there were, but they were all huge.) I love homers – who doesn’t – but seeing the offense hit the ball up the middle and use the whole field was a lot of fun and something this team hasn’t always been able to do.

Yes, the White Sox are terrible defenders. I’ve never seen such sloppiness. But beating Sale and some hard throwers in their pen was an accomplishment. Every game is so crucial right now – every at bat, every chance in the field, every pitch. I think I was holding my breath for the past three hours. But I’m exhaling now. If the Rays lose again to the Angels over on this coast, I’ll be even happier.

I’m not unhappy that Huff will start in Hughes’ place on Saturday against the Red Sox. I just hope he doesn’t fold under the pressure.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Nunie Gets The Gatorade Shower”

1. Barbara says:

I had a feeling there might be a comeback but I am working way too much these days and getting up very early and I didn’t think I would handle disappointment well so I went to bed. What a happy morning gift to watch the the 8th and 9th today. Still fearing the weekend but starting today with a big smile

After Nunie bobbled that catch in the first inning, I somehow knew that he was going to do something offensively to make up for it. And he did! Sale was scarey good but he left and all hell broke loose. Thanks, guys. They seem to be back in a place where they think they can come back and win a game even when they are down by more than one run…something they have not shown all season. We’re going to the game tonight so let’s hope for a sweep. GO YANKEES!!!

I turned the game off to read since Sale is so good (I second Jane’s request, Cashman!) and I didn’t have a lot of hope. But a tweet on my phone told me the score was 4-3 so I turned it on in time to hear the fun. What a nice comeback and the kind of play that is necessary not only now but in the postseason. It’s unfortunate that both Boston and Tampa Bay won (Really Scherzer? Really? And where were all those bats that made my one trip to Yankee Stadium this year so miserable?) but we did all we could to stay in the race. Dare I utter the “S” word? (Not the bad one, the one that has to do with brooms). Go Yankees!

4. john says:

Jane I guess its time for me to CONFESS. I had 4 tickets to this Saturdays Yankee/Sox game and I SOLD them 2 weeks ago. Shame on me. Another event offer came along and I had a moment of weakness. I wasn’t feeling to good about things and I jumped at a friends offer to buy the tickets. My family is really on my case about this.

Members of the fandom I am really sorry about my weak moment. Please forgive me.

P.S. My outlook is positive again. GO YANKS!

Don’t you hate when work gets in the way of baseball, Barbara? LOL. Glad you woke up to good news.

Have fun at the game tonight, Diane. And please do your best to bring us a win.

I was bummed about the other scores too, Audrey. All of a sudden the Angels rolled over for the Rays? Scherzer didn’t pitch like an ace? No help at all.

I forgive you, John. I hope the people you sold the tickets to will do us proud at the Stadium, as I know you would have.

6. margaret says:

As I have mentioned before here that a friend in PA and I text during the games.
    I wrote that I thought we were going to pull this out of our arse.
    She wrote back, from your mouth to God’s ears.
    Well he heard me. No sooner I typed this it broke loose.
    I’m takin’ credit. :-)

Seriously good game that was making me a mess.
    And yes, I too asked the Gods for Chris Sale.
    Hubby said the kid needs to eat a potato and that made me laugh.
    I said whatever he is doing is working for him and I want him!

John and Suzyn were saying about Sale during the radio broadcast, Peg, that he eats like crazy and must have an amazing metabolism because he never gains weight – they were jealous. They said Paul O’Neill is like that too.