Ichiro Pulled An Abreu

August 26th, 2013 by Jane Heller
220px-Abreu

Deer in the Headlights

Remember how Abreu seemed to fear crashing into the right field wall? In tonight’s series opener against the Blue Jays, Ichiro, a HOF outfielder who is usually so reliable at his position, looked lost, committing an error that really cost the Yankees. I read that he was so embarrassed after his misplay he wanted to go straight home. Poor guy.

Of course, the “L” wasn’t all his fault by any means. Hughes was pitching. (Need I say more?) And the offense couldn’t bring runners home. What a frustrating game, especially knowing the Rays had been trounced by the Royals earlier in the day.

All these remaining games mean so much that every loss feels like a tragedy to me. Yes, the Jays were due to beat the Yanks and yes, there’s still time for a miracle, but not if the offensive output continues to be a couple of runs here and there and not if the starters can’t give us six innings.

I guess it was too much to expect Jeter to show up wearing his Superman cape and saving the day. He’s rusty. He needs playing time. I get it. Still, it’s comforting just to have him back for the rest of the season, however long that lasts.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Ichiro Pulled An Abreu”

1. Lourdes T says:

Totally agree. I do not know why I feel hopeless when I read that Hughes is pitching.
    The next two weeks, in my opinion, will be crucial and the ticket to the post season is at play. It’s win or see them next season.
    And I felt the same way about Derek Jeter.

I have a feeling David Huff might get a start in his place, Lourdes.

After last night’s loss my optimism has lessened a smidgeon, I’ll admit. There is still plenty of time but we have to beat our division rivals, at least the ones that are ahead of us. When every win for us means a loss for them it’s a twofer. We need a lot of twofer in the next few weeks.

Huff for Hughes seems a fair trade.

A tough loss, Jane. Hughes gave up a lot of hits but they were mostly on the ground. I still want him gone at the end of the season. Ichiro has been so stellar for us all season that we can’t fault him for one error. Seeing all of the injuries this season, he probably just didn’t want to be yet another one by crashing into the wall. And I can remember back in the day when The Yankees would always beat a knuckle ball pitcher. Not that there were many out their but our bats definitely used to come alive against them. Anyway, I was truly expecting to sweep The Jays, but as the song says, “two out of three ain’t bad”. GO YANKEES!!!

I do love the word smidgeon, Audrey! Yes, every loss is tough at this point. I know we can’t win them on, but a nice long streak would be lovely.

Two out of three would be great, Diane. Fingers crossed for tonight.

Before last nite’s game, the stats geeks at ESPN had noted that Captain Jeet was a career 1-for-13 against That Knuckler. NOT a good omen. He’s now, what…1-for-16? Hopefully, that won’t be a factor anymore.

Sorry, Eech. But look for a bounceback tonight from a very proud man…

7. Raul says:

Love your writing…I am a “sick yankees fan” in Honduras;Central america.
    Got to love this Yankee team !! Resilient is a correct word for them

Not a good night for Jeter last night, Dave, but I, too, hope he’ll pull it together. As I wrote, he’s got to be really rusty.

Hi Raul all the way in Honduras. Do you get to watch the games there on MLB.TV or are they ever televised?

9. barbara says:

i was thinking the same thing about abreu and about the savior being back. instead it feels like another inch closer to the end of the fun. then i realized that even if the yankees are eliminated i still get to watch until the end of the season so i’m just going to enjoy the team i love. i hope cano is ok

Anxiously awaiting Cano’s test results, Barbara!

11. Raul says:

Hello again,yes I got MLB Tv and also get a few games on Fox,Espn and local cable…So happy Robbie is ok..let’s go Yankees

Very relieved about Cano, Raul. Whew.