An Even Better Janer, Thanks To Him

August 14th, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: nypost.com

Photo: nypost.com

Soriano was pure magic tonight in the Yankees’ second blowout in a row. My dearly departed grandmother could have hit some of Jered Weaver’s fat pitches into the seats, but Soriano did it at just the right moments and with great style. I agree with the fan above: Welcome Back, Sori.

Oh, those precious runs, one after the other. When was the last time the offense overshadowed a starting pitcher’s performance? Nova wasn’t un-hittable by any means, but he kept the Angels from scoring more than a couple of times. I’ve gotten to the point where I really look forward to the games he pitches, almost as much as I look forward to Kuroda’s outings.

Can this team keep it up? Who knows, but this little streak has been a lot of fun and has made me love watching again.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “An Even Better Janer, Thanks To Him”

I think the Yankees scored more runs in the last two games than they did in all of July:).

Though John and Suzyn keep throwing A-Rod into the mix, this spark has really been all Soriano. I am glad his offense seems to be contagious. That so many runs were scored off Jered Weaver is really encouraging. He didn’t seem to have it last night, but the Yankees have let lesser pitchers with lesser stuff dominate them. I hope they are rising up and saying “No more!” And I really hope they keep saying it to the Red Sox Nation.

2. Barbara says:

What fun. I almost forgot how much I like offense. I also really enjoy the games that oneill is part of the broadcast team. It was funny to hear them talk about how much he hated being interviewed but insisted on being interviewed daily in 98 after the won one in the playoffs in Cleveland and than didn’t lose another. It’s still an up hill climb and I fear Boston this weekend but its nice to have sori and not look feeble.

I was amazed how bad Weaver was, Audrey, but then the Angels have really had a tough season and maybe he’s been pitching that way all year, don’t know. He was up and down the middle of the plate and it was great seeing our hitters take advantage. Maybe John and Suzyn are right about A-Rod to the extent that having him in the lineup behind Cano is beneficial; I guess pitchers still want to be careful with him and that helps Cano. But yeah, Soriano has sure perked up since he got his 2000th hit.

Sorry I missed O’Neill – I haven’t gotten YES during this series, Barbara, because we get blacked out in CA and are stuck with the Angels TV feed. Yup, it’s still an uphill climb. I just hope this run of games has given them confidence so they won’t roll over in Boston.

I don’t think I ever recall a grand slam in the first inning. Wow! They’re on a tear now, mostly because of Soriano. How many RBI’s has he had in this series? Anyway, they need to keep this up because they’re heading to Boston — my birthday is Sunday – I can’t believe they are playing The Red Sox on my day! Ugh!!! Hopefully my team give me a BIG gift. GO YANKEES!!!

That first inning sure did set the tone, Diane. I couldn’t believe we’d scored eight runs off Weaver after two innings. Amazing. I do hope they win on your birthday!

Wanted to say yesterday how good it is to have #12 back. Yes, that was also the uni number he used to wear, in his first incarnation as a Yankee. Still remember his tie-breaking HR, as a rookie, off Curt Schilling in the 8th inning of Game #7 of the 2001 WS, and thinking that oh YES, it was OURS now. And it very nearly was, for a 4th straight…

He said something interesting, at least per the MLB.com writeup. Alfonso said that he wanted to be sure to remember games like these last two. Such a roller-coaster career, more down than up (much more). But he also said how he loves to wear these pinstripes again (the Cubbies wear them, but who even notices); and that he knows how this team is expected to win, and they always have that attitude. Okay, so it was vs. The New Twins. So what. Savor the days…

Thought I’d look into Weaver a little bit, Jane, and this was what I found:

“Weaver had been very good in his last five starts prior to Wednesday, but he went down hard against the Yankees. Alfonso Soriano abused him for two home runs, and Weaver allowed nine hits in all. The right-hander’s ERA rose from 2.87 to 3.49 after the start.”

I didn’t go back to far but he won at least his last three games. If his season started out shaky it looked like he was on the uptick – until he met the mighty Sori:).

Yes, savor the days, Dave. Absolutely.

Interesting, Audrey. I guess we caught him on a night when he didn’t have his best and we had ours!

I love Mo more than any of them, Peg, but that’s a tough call!