Pure Misery

August 7th, 2013 by Jane Heller

misery_2

I decided to use a pic of Kathy Bates in the movie adaptation of Stephen King’s “Misery” to describe how I’m feeling right now. Not only did I have skin cancer surgery on my legs (ouwww) but I didn’t win the $400+million jackpot in tonight’s Powerball drawing. And then there was the horrendous Yankees loss. I don’t even know how to measure how horrendous the game was except to say that in spite of the sudden home run bursts from Soriano and Nunez and the decent-for-half-the-game pitching by CC and the ninth inning homer by Cano to put the Yanks ahead, they still found a way to lose and get swept by the White Sox. Oh, the agony.

And then, of course, there was the fact that Mo blew the save and that Adam Warren stuck out his glove when he should have kept his hands to himself and that nobody on this team seems to be capable of driving in runs with a sacrifice bunt or anything similarly creative.

Yup, I’m disgusted. They had the famous closed door meeting and guys talked about needing to win and not getting down on themselves. I’d hate to be in that clubhouse tonight. Tough to shrug this one off, I’m sure.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Pure Misery”

Now I know how it feels to be a Mets fan. It feels like crap.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a return to good health, Jane.

2. ladyjane303 says:

My expectations for the season were not high, but this is worse than I thought it would be. You picked the perfect picture for thispost.
    More importantly, I hope you feel better quickly. All of this Yankees nonsense is nothing compared to your good health.

Hope all is well with you, Jane. Take care of yourself.
    The game…ugh! I went to bed as soon as Robby hit the HR – I truly thought that was it. But its been so many games now since The Yankees have been able to use Mariano I guess he was a bit rusty. C.C. did start off well – a good sign, I hope. And our first run scored on no hits…that was pretty cool. Anyway, they’re off tonight (and so are we).

Thanks for the get wishes, all. I’ve had a ton of cancers on my legs – the price of all that sunbathing in the years when I didn’t know it was bad for you – but yesterday was two at once and I was not happy. The Yankees didn’t help! I guess we can’t complain. They haven’t been this bad in 20 years.

5. Uncle Mike says:

Baseball aside, feel better, Jane. Back to baseball, I would’ve gone for another movie: “Rocky.” After that game, I felt like punching something. I felt like punching John Sterling, for all the times he said, “How do you like that?” If he had said, “You just can’t predict baseball,” I would have wanted to break his neck — except he has no neck.

You can’t take this season out on Sterling, Uncle Mike. He and Suzyn have to be running out of ways to describe losing. Besides, we can’t afford another injury so don’t break his neck!

7. Barbara says:

The Yankees started my birthday off so wrong. Today I am 50 and last nights game started it on a sour sour note. I am trying not to think the season is over but my optimism is running out. I hope you feel better Jane.

Happy Birthday, Barbara!!!! I hope you’re doing something special and wonderful to celebrate.

9. Terry S says:

At this point if we caught a break it would blow up in our face. But I’m still going to the game tonight.

Are you going to boo A-Rod, Terry? Every article I’ve read this morning has a poll about whether fans at the game will give their lungs a workout.

Happy Birthday Anywa, Barbara…and best wishes for speedy recovery, Jane. Those skin cancer things are painful, and worrisome…a TON of cancers?…yikes!

Both the Bombers and the Local Duds (Nats) have been swirling ’round the toilet bowl for weeks now. But it’s so much more sadly painful with the Yanks, as there’s so many guys we won’t see again. Feels like the mid-’60s, when Mickey and Whitey’s team just simply got old all together. Hopefully, no dozen-year droughts ahead…

On a bright note, I see that UC-Santa Barbara is rated one of the Top Party Schools in America! Go, You Gauchos…

12. Terry S says:

Jane – I have never booed a Yankee and I’m not going to start now. Phil Hughes has taken me to the edge of the abyss, but never over the edge. I am really dreading the reception Alex will get. It won’t be pretty.

I never have either (except in the privacy of my own home!) and I’m kind of dreading it too. I’ll miss most of the game because of previous plans, but will watch it later.