What A Nice Way To Wake Up

August 1st, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Mark J. Terrill/AP

Photo: Mark J. Terrill/AP

I sort of kept one eye closed as I started reading about last night’s game, which I didn’t even see the beginning of as it was my second-to-last night on my trip. But when I saw the words “Lyle Overbay with key hit,” I got excited.

How great is Kuroda? I said it in the last post about the game he pitched and I’ll say it again about this one. He’s been flat-out brilliant, in this case going toe to toe with Kershaw. It stinks that he couldn’t earn the win, but what I love about the game was Girardi’s luck with the pinch hitters and the matchups. He should have played last night’s Powerball (I did and I only got one of the winning numbers – bummer). I’ve been high on Melky Mesa and he proved his value last night. I think he’s a kid who could turn into a nice player for us.

And we’ll need nice players since we didn’t make any moves by yesterday’s deadline. No point really.  It’s time to just savor wins like last night’s and not worry about the rest. I’m so sick of reading about how A-Rod will appeal, won’t appeal, will settle with MLB, won’t settle, blah blah. Just do it already, people!

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “What A Nice Way To Wake Up”

1. margaret says:

I agree with everything you said here!!
    Tell MIchael you are right yet again. :-)

Ive been watching a few pirate games. Remember when they were more like our farm team? Ah,the good old days.

Amen, Jane. It was still 0 – 0 when I went to bed and I turned on the tv as soon as I got up hoping for the good news we got. And since it was obviously after midnight when the game ended, The Yankees won a game on my daughter’s birthday. She is the most avid Yankees fan under 25 years old and she was thrilled to wake up to a great first present of the day. They’re off tonight so let’s hope for a winning streak, now that Grandy is coming back. GO YANKEES!!!

3. Leo says:

Needless to say, I’m very disappointed that there were no moves made. Perhaps the sellers were asking for far more that what Young, Ruiz, Morales, Morse, etc should command. If that’s the case then I can’t blame Cashman for standing pat. Giving up highly touted prospects for rentals will always be foolish. Looks like we have to roll with what we have and hope for the best.

Those Pirates have been amazing, Peg. It would be fun to see them in the WS.

Happy Birthday to your daughter, Diane. Nice present indeed!

Yup, Leo, we have the players we have and that’s how it is. None of the possible candidates would have been sure difference-makers.

5. barbara says:

i woke up and had the pleasure of watching the end of the game and the post game interviews. kuroda is such a pleasure to watch. i wasn’t disappointed about no trades. i don’t think we are close enough to winning it all so i didn’t want to give up our few decent prospects. i am looking forward to seeing grandy back. i still can’t believe that we aren’t out of it with the tiny offense that we have but jetes, sori and grandy could be the trade deadline moves that we needed.

Agreed, Barbara!

‘Tis a season to take happiness in small doses. But ANY dose is a good one…
    Kuroda has been amazing — 3-0 with a sub-1.00 ERA since early July? Wow.
    And always delighted to see Overbay continue “The McQuinn Effect,” though it won’t likely end as sweetly for Lyle as it did for George in ’47. No matter. Sweet little tastes. Last night was like that…

8. yankeefansince1941 says:

Got a role in “Twelve Angry Men” at our Little Theater and we had rehearsal last night. didn’t get home until tennish and went to bed early knowing only that the score was 0-0. Very happy to see the results on my smart phone this morning.
    I would be happy to finish the year with whom we have and returning ‘sickies’, although I was unhappy to learn that Cerevelli willbe out for the year. Won’t miss A-Rod.
    I remember George McQuinn, who I think we got from the Brownies and there was Nick Etten a former Philly. Ah, the gold old days when 25 home runs could lead the league and a .309 batting average would do the same.