A Great Day For Yankee Fans

July 28th, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America

Photo: Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America

I admit it. I got choked up watching the pre-game ceremony to make Matsui a Yankee forever. I loved that his parents and brother were there (what happened to “the wife” who was shown to the media in that famous drawing?) and that Jeter presented him with the plaque of his jersey. Very cool.

Then came Jeter’s big moment at the plate: one swing, one homer, one run – an actual lead! He seemed to ignite the rest of the players and set the tone. Soriano was terrific in what felt like his real return to the Yanks, and Ichiro showed he’s not done yet in the hits department.

Phil Hughes? I’ve given up trying to find ways to express my displeasure. All I know is he gave back the lead and can’t put batters away. He’s not terrible, by any means, just not somebody I want on the mound at the Stadium.

Whether today’s win over the Rays leads to more “W’s” remains to be seen, but it sure beats losing.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “A Great Day For Yankee Fans”

1. Freya says:

My sister and I were at the game today, which was a sellout. What an event! At 11AM, there were thousands of people waiting to get in, and of course get their Matsui bobble heads. Luckily we got ours. It was very emotional seeing Matsui as he was driven around the field. It was great seeing his parents and brother. The ceremony was touching. Then came the thunderous applause for Jeter, and his first pitch home run. Soriano was another wonderful part of the day. We were so thrilled that he got the walk off. My throat is sore from all the joyous screaming!!!!!!!!

2. barbara says:

what fun. i couldn’t believe that jeter hit a home run on his first pitch. sori was great. jeter is so classy that his first comments were about matsui not himself. it’s hard to watch hughes because you know he will give up the long ball. i can’t stop watching even though it’s been painful and i am still so much happier when they win.
    freya that is so great that you were there. it must have been so much fun.
    i love yankee walk offs

How cool that you and your sister were there today, Freya. My throat would be sore too!

I, too, loved that Jeter’s comments were about Matsui and not himself, Barbara. He really is a special guy.

4. Freya says:

Yesterday was even more fun because I was also there Friday night when CC gave up all those runs.

5. ladyjane303 says:

I was at the game, too, and what a great day it was. I haven’t felt that much energy in the place in quite a while – it almost felt like old-time Yankee baseball. When you look ahead and see that Granderson could be back by next week, the line-up is looking a lot better. I worry about CC and have no clue about Hughes. I loved Girardi’s comment about Jeter – “He’s a movie.” You couldn’t have scripted that first at bat any better!

A win always makes us happy. Jeter was very productive as was Soriano, finally. I know it was only his third game back but you know we were all expecting his bat to explode right away. The Matsui tribute was very moving. I’m really looking forward to that being Hughes’ last start in pinstripes. I’m not thrilled about a day off but I’m sure they need it. And now off to the west coast. I hope you’re going to at least one game, Jane. GO YANKEES!!!

7. Leo says:

Indeed yesterday was an incredible day. Matsui was a class act and will always be one of my favorite Yankees. Yesterday’s win was great but time is running out as the trade deadline draws nearer. We can’t just wait for the calvary and Soriano alone isn’t enough. Ideally I would like a cost controlled bat like Headley but the Padres would ask for a lot. I hope Cashman is calling around to see if players like Young, Ruiz, Kendrys Morales, etc are available. They make so much sense based on our needs and should not cost that much. I would be very disappointed if Soriano was the only move.

I loved Girardi’s line too, ladyjane. So glad you were there to see the fun. It’s heartening that Granderson will be back soon but as you point out CC’s a concern.

I’m not going to any games in LA, Diane, because I’ve been on the east coast for a month!

I’m sure Cashman is calling everybody, Leo, but the trick is to have something to sell and he’s reluctant to give up more prospects.

9. Leo says:

The prospects shouldn’t be untouchable though. There are our best ones like Sanchez, Campos, Depaula, Williams, etc that I wouldn’t want to part with either since they can contribute to the team’s future in positions of need. The right player comes along at the right price and we should pounce. I emphasize at the right price though because gutting the farm system for rentals would not be the way to go. The aforementioned players should not cost that much.

Yesterday’s game and the ceremony honoring Matsui are why I love baseball in general and Yankee baseball in particular. Class, tradition, hope and honor – That is baseball at it’s best and yesterday had all that and more.