What An Entertaining Game!

July 20th, 2013 by Jane Heller

applause-thumb-240x240-1498461

Maybe there’s something to be said for approaching Yankees games – particularly games against the first place Red Sox at Fenway – with low expectations. When we scored the first run and then added a few more, I was so excited, as if runs were this rare phenomena.

And I loved watching Kuroda pitch. He really is an ace – just a pleasure to have on the team. I hoped he’d finish with a shutout because he deserved it, but I was happy he got the win and the run support.

And Chris Stewart’s double play. Wow. Tim McCarver, whose opinion I don’t usually pay attention to, couldn’t stop raving about how Stewart threw himself into the stands to get that foul ball, then wheeled around and fired to second to get the out. It was seriously cool. I haven’t been a big Stewart fan, but that play was impressive. (And speaking of FOX, what a relief not to have to suffer through Joe Buck.)

I think it was Jack Curry who said on the YES postgame show that the Yankees are treading water until Jeter, Granderson, etc. come back, and it’s true. They win a game here and there and then lose three, and consistency has been hard to come by with all the different players coming and going. But for tonight at least, life as a Yankee fan was very good.

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “What An Entertaining Game!”

Such a great game to be able to watch – I’m sure FOX was very glad they televised it! Entertaining, fun and interesting. And best of all, it ended in a Yankee win. All is as it should be.

I panicked when I first turned on FOX, Audrey. They were showing the Pirates-Reds! But it turned out we were in a non-rain rain delay (it was sunny here in CT so I had no clue).

3. Terri says:

I got Pirates/Reds here too, Jane – was only able to watch the first four innings of Sox/Yankees and then had to stick with just Gameday (boo for blackouts!!). I watched the video later – WOW, what a double play from Stewart (and what stupid baserunning on the part of the Sox). Thrown out at second for that crazy double play, and then home plate multiple times? Sheesh. I wish I could have watched more of it live.

Kuroda’s pitches looked really lively for the part I was able to watch. Had my Sox off-balance all game. I’m always nervous when we don’t score runs early — that seems to be the key to our offense is getting to starters, and not so much to the bullpen. We’ve had something like 8 walk-offs, but it’s usually because we start out in front and let the other team back in to tie it, and not coming from behind necessarily.

CC versus Dempster today – should be a strange pitching matchup. Here’s to more good games!!

The base running was strange the entire game, wasn’t it, Terri? So many guys running for better and worse. I’m worried about CC – your Sox like to hit him and he hasn’t been as ace-like this year, but we shall see….

I’m with you on CC tonight, Jane – even when he’s being effective everywhere else it seems the Sox get to him so this match-up could be ugly. I was hoping they would pitch Nova – I want to see if the new Nova is still in the ballpark.

I was listening to the game on the radio for the first little bit Jane (my daughter and I canned a batch of Dilly Beans – yum!) – so I missed the non-rain delay game-switch panic. I received an upset text from my son about it though, and since he is in Virginia it was conceivable they would air that the Reds/Pirates game instead. Fortunately, they did switch back to Yankees/Red Sox and everyone was happy.

I’m eager to see if Nova will be good the next time out, Audrey. Let’s hope. On the FOX thing, I couldn’t figure it out at first. I said, “I’m finally in the northeast and I’m blacked out?” In California, we’re always stuck with Angels or Dodgers. I went on twitter in a panic and asked and found out about the non-rain rain delay. Whew. Btw, dilly beans? No idea what they are!

Pickled green beans. Green beans are one of my few successful crops. I get so many of them that we pickle them for later. They’re really good!

Sounds delicious! How about mass producing them and sending them to CA?! Yum.

I’d be happy to send you a jar. It’s the least I can do for all you do for us by writing this blog.

How much longer will you be in CT? They could get there pretty quickly.

That’s so nice of you, Audrey! But please don’t feel obligated. Just having you on the blog is reward enough. I’m in CT until the 31st. Wish I could stay longer.