“We’re Not Playing for Giggles”

July 19th, 2013 by Jane Heller

joe-girardi

I’d hate to be Girardi right now. Another game, another loss, another offensive fade and another injury. In his post game interview after tonight’s loss to the Red Sox, he was asked about Gardner’s ejection. He didn’t agree with it and served up the “giggles” comment. Seems to me that players aren’t supposed to throw their helmets when they get what they think is a bad call.

The real problem is that Girardi doesn’t have guys with pop in their bats on a consistent basis, except Cano. Pettitte hasn’t been great, especially in the early innings, but tonight he pitched well enough to win – if only his team would score some runs.

Zoilo now joins the list of the wounded. Bye bye.

We need help, Cashman. By all means, bring up more kids from the minors but go out and make a trade for a bat. Or else the season is over. It’s that simple.

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to ““We’re Not Playing for Giggles””

1. Dan says:

I would like to see Baltimore’s Ryan Flaherty on the team. He can play any position and can hit. Baltimore is using him as a reserve player.

If we’re picking from a division rival, Dan, I’d like to see Nick Markakis, Haha.

Last night I admitted to myself for the first time that Boston could very well win the whole enchilada this year. The idea makes me physically sick because the Red Sox fans in this town are soooo obnoxious about it. They’ve had to lie low the past couple of years and with another world championship – aack, I couldn’t take it. So yes, Cashman, do whatever it takes. The Yankees have got to get themselves back in this race.

I’m thinking this is a “wait till next year” scenario, Audrey, especially after reading Tyler’s piece in today’s NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/sports/baseball/next-option-for-yankees-to-spend-gasp.html?ref=sports. Just too many injuries.

5. Dan says:

Jane, the cost may be too high to take Markasis. Also, Flaherty is from across the bridge from me (bias). His father coached a relatively unknown college team into the College World Series twice and he has drive. Check this profile out: http://www.kjonline.com/sports/flaherty-ready-to-go-after-enjoying-break_2013-07-18.html. Also it would so surely irk the Red Sox fans in my Maine outpost. :)

I was kidding about Markakis, Dan, hence the “haha.” I’m sure Flaherty’s a fine player but we need more than the Orioles’ reserves.