Never Mind That Last Post

July 10th, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

Photo: Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

What would the Yankees do without Lyle Overbay, otherwise known as Lyle Loverbay on Twitter. It was almost predestined that he would hit a grand slam when he came up with bases loaded. But an opposite field slam? Tremendous, and it put the Yanks up 8-0.

Cano’s homer got things started, but it was Overbay’s blast that made the game comfortable.

And Nova…..Wow…..Where did he come from all of a sudden? Now he goes eight innings without breaking a sweat and only seemed to run out of gas tonight after his 100th pitch. Whether it’s the threat of Pineda showing up in the Bronx and filling his slot or he’s just matured to the point of being really, really good, I don’t know, but I hope he keeps up the great work. He was fun to watch.

So were the clips on YES of Jeter’s outing in Scranton. He’s coming, unless something weird intervenes, and I’m getting excited.

There’s really not much to say about A-Rod’s supposed suspension that’s on the horizon. He’ll meet with MLB and not answer questions about PEDs and this thing will drag on or it won’t. No point in speculating now. Besides, Cruz made a dazzling play at third tonight, so maybe he’ll be fine there.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Never Mind That Last Post”

1. SBlue says:

Really happy that Nova is back to his usual dominant self. He was sick. Also loving Overbay, the one guy who comes to the rescue when something happens. Now we have to see if Andy can come back to his regular self and see if the Yanks win every game until the break.

Also a random update from “the Captain”.

2. Saphire916 says:

There was an article in the Times about how Nova has become a force of nature by changing his attitude. He calls himself a lion and it seems to be working for him…hey, man, whatever works. I have always loved Ivan Nova and hope they find a way to keep him in the rotation. It doesn’t hurt when the offense gets going either!

I’ve always like Nova so I am thrilled to see him being the pitcher i always thought he could be. So proud of my boy:).

Between Gardner, Ichiro, Cano and Overbay maybe we can put together enough offensive situations to score some runs and win some games. Certainly we need these next four – Go Yankees!

I just came back from almost a week in Pittsburgh visiting my daughter. Of course, they have always loved their Penguins and their Steelers out there but now they are loving their Pirates, too. I’m happy for that hard-luck team and am rooting for them to make the playoffs and do well – until they meet the Yankees, of course. My daughter has been able to attend a couple of games (one of her friends is married to a guy who dresses up like a pierogi during home games and races other pierogies – heehee) and the other night she sent me a photo of Russell Martin on first base. Very happy for Russell Martin – always liked him, too.

I agree about Andy, SBlue. He needs to have a strong outing, weather permitting.

I saw that article, Saphire916, so thanks for sharing it with others. Nova does seem to have taken on a different persona on the mound. He’s fierce!

I’m happy for the Pirates and their fans too, Audrey. My brother-in-law is a Pittsburgh native who’s been a Pirates fan since way back and he’s very happy. Their ballpark is supposed to be really nice.

I’m also thrilled that Cano went 3 for 4. Hope everything about last night’s game is a good sign for the future. And today’s 1:00 PM game should be Jeter’s first game back. That will be a big plus. I missed the game again last night…another free concert – The Zombies. The next concert we’ll be attending is Saturday and that one’s Bernie Williams. Looking forward to it. GO YANKEES!!!

6. Ruth says:

THE CAPTAIN IS BACK, THE CAPTAIN IS BACK! My baseball hibernation can end now….

And he did a lot of running in that first inning! I was so worried he might hurt himself but he looked great!