Alberto Gonzalez To The Rescue

July 3rd, 2013 by Jane Heller

220px-Alberto_Gonzales_-_official_DoJ_photograph

No, not the former Attorney General. I mean this guy.

AlbertoGonzalez_Yankees

I couldn’t believe it when I heard that Nix was out with a tight hamstring, but Alberto filled in more than admirably, both with the bat and the glove.

And how about Hughes? As I wrote in the last post, it’s fun to play the Twins because the Yankees have an uncanny knack for doing well against them. But all that said, Hughes was good tonight. He looked like he meant business, not nibbling, not going into deep counts, just throwing strikes and getting outs. And I liked how he pitched out of trouble in the fourth, instead of melting down. If only he could pitch that way in the Bronx.

Cano continued his hot streak and he and his teammates gave Hughes nice run support after what started out as a pitcher’s duel. Even David Adams got into the act.

Of course, a win wouldn’t be a win this season without injury news to accompany it – injury news in addition to Nix’s hamstring. No sooner did Mo get the save did we learn that Kuroda had flown to New York for an MRI on his hip. The test may have come back “clean,” but are the Yankees really as unconcerned as they say about one of their aces – an ace who’s no spring chicken and who rarely complains about anything?

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Alberto Gonzalez To The Rescue”

I’m definitely worried about Kuroda, Jane. Suzyn and John were speculating that may be why Ivan Nova is hanging around. Kuroda is such a great team player and a class act – I really want him in on this championship pursuit.

Could our bats have finally shaken off the doldrums? Cano’s certainly has. As you said yesterday, I wish we could play the Twins every day!

That was a nice win, Jane. Cano has hit 3 HR’s in the last 2 games…let’s hope he keeps that up. And even Adams got a couple of hits…when does that ever happen? That over the shoulder catch that Gonzalez made was a big one. And Hughes being able to turn the 4th inning around – like the announcers said, that made the rest of the players say that they need to score him some runs. And they did! Can’t think of any way that the game could have been better. Will this make Hughes a more deal-able trade or will it make The Yankees want to keep him? I am a little worried about Kuroka but maybe they just wanted to be overly cautious because he is so important to the team. Anyway, we have to go to a wedding tonight so we won’t get to see the game but hoping for another W…GO YANKEES!!!

I’m glad Nova has been hanging around for just this reason, Audrey. Now let’s hope he can deliver. Otherwise, I guess they have Nuno to call up. Enjoy the wedding, Diane!

4. john says:

Best thing I heard about A-rod’s ground out into double play and strike out performance was “he’s in October form”.

Great job by Gonzalez and Adams and Robbie last night, Hughes was actually watchable.

On our local CT news, John, they were promoting that A-Rod’s coming here to play A-ball. Do you know what team he’d be playing? I thought he was going back to Tampa after his SC stint.

6. john says:

May play in New Britain for Trenton vs Rockcats. next weekend. Friday, Sat, Sunday.

Yeah, I think it’s New Britain for that series. But he could be back in Tampa. I’d go but it’s not that close to me.

8. john says:

Not that far from you. Maybe an hour if you are where I think you are. That’s like a trip to the grocery store for a Calie person. Nice Stadium up there. 15 minutes from my house. I have no interest in seeing him.

Michael, stadium is 15 minutes from steamed cheeseburgers!

I’ll tell him. Lol!