Zoilo-Sanity!

June 21st, 2013 by Jane Heller
Photo: Robert Rogers/Getty Images

Photo: Robert Rogers/Getty Images

OK, so this hasn’t risen to the level of Lin-sanity or even Puig-mania, but Zoilo Almonte has given the Yankees a spark – at least for now. I enjoyed watching him play tonight and I haven’t enjoyed a game in a while. The offense seemed to click and we actually scored some runs. Phelps, while not efficient, held the Rays in check for the most part, as did the relievers. What was not to like?

More please, Yankees.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Zoilo-Sanity!”

1. yankeefansince1941 says:

Like I said yesterday, it is time to dip in to the farm system and find some heroes. I may not have mentioned Almonte, but here he is and getting off to a good start. Hope he maintains it.

Meanwhile, nice win yesterday. I am liking David Phelps more and more.. Sure, he gets into trouble, but he gets out of it too. MY positive attitude is returning.

What especially cool about Zoilo, yankeefanetc, is that he wasn’t a much-heralded prospect and still managed to galvanize the offense yesterday. Was it a fluke or will he help the team over the long haul, but it’s fun to watch at the moment. I agree about Phelps. He usually manages to prevent an unraveling. Let’s see if Nova can do the same if he starts tomorrow.

Just checked in while listening to today’s game with the bases loaded and Almonte at bat. Woohoo! The kid came through! 2-1 Yankees! Welcome to the Yankees, World War Z!

And now they just walked him. Fear the Z!

5. Barbara says:

I was lamenting our inability to hit with the bases loaded when my dad textmthat wells came through. What fun. I love zoilo. To have the patience to walk when your new to the league is amazing.
    My question is why did the Yankees give up on wang. He’s pitched three great games for the blue jays.

I said the same thing to Michael about Wang today, Barbara. Instead of Hughes, who gives up homers, why didn’t they pick up Wang, who throws a sinker and gets ground balls? Odd.