When He’s Your Best Hitter….

June 11th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Photo: Getty Images

And Chris Stewart is your second best hitter….your offense is in trouble.

The Yankees staged a valiant comeback in the ninth (against Balfour, no less) having trailed 6-0 in the eighth,  but they couldn’t make it all the way back. There’s just not enough fire power on this team right now. They had the bases loaded in the first inning against Bartolo Colon, not exactly a spring chicken, and yet nothing.

That said, it was CC who put them in the hole in the first place. Where did our buddy the ace go? He wasn’t very ace-like in tonight’s series opener against the A’s, not from the first inning when he gave up a homer to Coco Crisp. Ugh. I wish I knew what the problem is. I’m sure he wishes he knew too. All I know is that I used to assume a “W” whenever he was our starter. Now? Not so much.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “When He’s Your Best Hitter….”

1. Leo says:

Sorry I’ve been MIA for a little while, Jane. I just recently got promoted at my job and my schedule has been hectic along with adjusting to my new position. Help us if these past few games are an indicator that CC is already beginning his career decline. I didn’t expect it for at least another year or 2. Now it’s almost imperative that Pineda recovers well from his rehab stint and pitches well for them. But realistically, we shouldn’t expect for that to happen so I can only hope Pineda is at least serviceable when he returns. I think a big priority Cashman should consider in the trade deadline is getting the team a serviceable corner outfielder and if possible, a catcher. Wells and Ichiro have been absolutely awful for quite some time now and Stewart is playing over his head right now. This offense really could’ve used Swisher and Martin.

I went to bed after the second home run was hit by Oakland, Jane. From the last couple of outings I really thought that C.C. was heading back in the right direction but last night does not support this at all. It is kind of weird who is actually hitting right now, but this team is always about SOMEONE getting the hits. Obviously I don’t know what all of last night’s at-bats were like, but from the previous game I think it looks like Cano’s bat is getting a little better. They do have to turn it around, though, Jane, and start hitting. Hopefully, it starts tonight, because again, Boston is winning and we don’t want to fall far behind them. GO YANKEES!!!

3. Leo says:

Test post since I cant see the last post I made. So what are everyone’s thoughts on last nights brawl between Arizona/LA?

Congratulations on your promotion, Leo. Fantastic. Having Pineda back and seeing him be the pitcher Cashman hoped he’d be would be such a boost, but as you say it’s not s sure thing. I do miss Swisher’s offense, but Martin’s? We were all saying last year how we liked him but he couldn’t hit.

I don’t know what to make of Cano, Diane. He hasn’t done much at the plate this year except during his occasional hot streaks. And yet there he is doing the home run derby again at the All Star game. Puzzling.

Oh, that brawl! Crazy stuff, Leo. It’s not often that you see managers and coaches get into the act.

5. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans …

Bartolo may not be a spring chicken but he is 8-2 with an under .300 era. He’s having a pretty good season no matter his age or weight. I was cracking up the way Kay and Co. was laughing about how slow he walks back to the dugout each inning. They were saying the rest of the guys are finished showering by the time he gets to the steps. I never noticed it but he is REALLY slow when he walks from the mound. As for CC …his era in Oakland is the worst of all the other AL parks. For some reason he just doesn’t pitch well there. He hasn’t looked like the CC we all know and love but I’m still hoping he will pick it up in the next few months. Cano …what’s going on with him? Right now he’s not looking like All-Star material ..that’s for sure. The Yankees have been fortunate to win so many games with such a lack of offense. Thankfully, for the most part the pitching has been the key. I would just love to see a few 10 hit, 5 plus run games in the Yanks near future. As for Swisher and Martin…they aren’t doing much better than what we have at this point so I’m not missing them that much. I am truly amazed how well the Yankees have done when you consider the players we have had for the past few months. I really miss DJ …just his presence in the lineup makes such a difference. Anyway …I’m going to be grateful for what they have done to this point and I’m hoping with players slowly returning (even Alex) it will make a difference. That is if they all return …

Oh …have I mentioned lately….I HATE THESE LATE NIGHT GAMES !!!!

Go Yankees 2013 !!

6. Peggy says:

Oh …Congrats on your promotion Leo …best of luck in your new position.

Go Yankees 2013!!!

I was thinking last night that I missed Jeter too, Peggy. It’s not the same without him around – at all.

8. David says:

I was at the game last night. Lots of Yankee faithful in the seats. Being a bay area guy we all thought CC would do better. A lot of people were heading for the exits by the end of the 6th. The yanks tried to mount a late comeback. It’s a tough job against a team that went 13-4 on a 17 game (in 17 day) road trip.

You’d think he would do better in Oakland, David, but as Peggy commented, his record there isn’t good at all. Maybe he feels more pressure there? Who knows.

10. David says:

Ray Fosse said he spoke to CC before the start of tonight’s game and mentioned that Oakland isn’t Yankee Stadium and he said that CC replied “I just realized that”. Fosse was rather surprised at that answer.