And They’re Streaking

June 9th, 2013 by Jane Heller

(I love that this guy is on the phone while he’s getting tackled.)

The Yankees won the series today by eeking out another close game against the Mariners. It was especially satisfying because it was Phelps versus King Felix and Phelps turned out to be the more kingly of the two. He’s been great his last couple of times out there.

Brett Gardner, always a streaky hitter, is on a hot streak at the moment. And Chris Stewart, after I badmouthed him in a previous post, earned his keep with a big RBI single. Dave Robertson is wearing me out with his Houdini act. Yes, he ended up pitching scoreless baseball, but must he always put men on and then get out of trouble? At least when Mo does it – and he did allow baserunners today – it’s a fluke.

Bottom line: the Yankees are playing to win right now. The Mariners aren’t exactly a powerhouse offensively, but in order to be there in October you have to beat the teams you’re supposed to beat and the Yanks did that in this series. Well done.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “And They’re Streaking”

1. YankeeCase says:

Baseball’s a funny game, huh? Last week the Yankees were losers of 6 of the previous 7. Now this week they’ve won 6 of their last 7.

I’ve never liked their next two stops, so we’ll see what happens this coming week.

Yay for Phelpsie! This kid’s the real deal. I was up in the mountains of Vermont while this game was being played and reliant on tweets to keep me informed of it’s progress. We were driving home when Ichiro and Stewart did their magic and Mo came in. Then the tweets stopped as we drove out of a service area – I was so nervous! But Mo did his thing and my phone alerted me that the ballgame was over and the Yankees were victorious – woohoo! Now let’s take it to Oakland and Anaheim.

That was an exciting win. What a pitching duel!!! Can’t complain about Phelps anymore…he gave up only 3 hits. So glad our team was able to add one run before the end of the regular game…I did NOT want to see Joba come in. Glad they have a night off today but not so happy about going to Oakland…they are a very strong team. GO YANKEES!!!

I agree about the last two stops, YankeeCase, especially Rally Monkey Land. Ugh.

Except for that horrible one-inning outing, Audrey, Phelps really has been the real deal. And he has so many strikeouts!

For some reason I’m not as worried about Oakland as I am about Anaheim, Diane. Oakland’s playing great right now, but the Angels have some scary, scary bats.

5. yankeefansince1941 says:

Great game. Was “eeking” a typo or intentional. If intentional, I really like it.

Intentional! I was literally saying “eek” every time it looked like the Yankees would do more damage against King Felix and didn’t.