The Horror!

May 28th, 2013 by Jane Heller

There’s no point in going on about how Kuroda pitched his heart out, how he out-dueled the Mets phenom, how he deserved to get the win. Or in talking about the great catches Gardner’s been making in this series. Or in singing the praises of Overbay and his clutch hitting.

What’s sticking with me, of course, is Mo’s blown save and the Yankees’ latest loss. I guess he was due for a meltdown – he really had nothing tonight – but it came in shocking fashion. I thought we had this one nailed down. Ugh. Big time ugh.

P.S. I’m getting tired of watching Chris Stewart screw up behind the plate. Just saying.

P.P.S. At least Robertson seemed to have recovered from his swoon last night.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “The Horror!”

Let’s just say the word “stupid” was heard quite a bit, many doors and drawers were slammed and neither this shefan nor her husband slept well last night.

Stupid Mets.

2. Leo says:

No excuses for Stewart, the defensive “wizard”. It just can’t happen anymore if that’s going to be his only contribution to the team. I’d rather watch Romine play. Yes he hasn’t been good either but at least there’s still a chance for him to grow and develop. Stewart is who he is at this point in his career. Mo will bounce back. He always does. This offense really needs the reenforcements soon. It leaves the pitchers with next to margin for error and it’s too much to ask of them to be perfect everyday.

I didn’t slam any doors or drawers, Audrey, but I didn’t sleep well. Of course the fact that we had to keep the windows closed because the smoke from the wildfires (there are now 3) was hard to breathe, but Mo’s blown save had a lot to do with it. I’m thinking maybe he needs to curtail all those meetings with fans and the media during this farewell tour. Maybe it’s sapping his energy.

The reinforcements are coming soon, Leo. I just don’t want to lose Overbay when Tex comes back. They have to find a way to keep him.

I’m beginning to think its something physical with Stewart…perhaps he is not 100% healed yet. But Romine is so terrible offensively, that I think I still want Stewart in there. I’m really worried now that Wells and Hafner have just completely stopped producing. There were enough opportunities last night, even with The Mets’ big starter on the mound, for us to score some runs. I won’t go into the Mariano moments…this was the first close of the season that he couldn’t make so we’ll just move on from here. Everybody pray for decent weather…the reports are not good but my daughter and her cousins are going to the game so hopefully it doesn’t get rained out. GO YANKEES!!!

I’ve been worried for you with these wildfires, Jane. As soon as I heard they were in the hills above Santa Barbara I pictured your lovely home and hope they were nowhere near it and you.

Thanks, Audrey. So far we’re OK. The two big fires aren’t near us and the smaller one that was closer to our house was dealt with last night. But the air quality isn’t great right now and the wind and dry conditions are not a good combo. A little fog or drizzle would sure be nice, but there’s none in the forecast.

After such a shocking and dispiriting loss last night, perhaps some neutral observation will help.

My old college friend, Don, was in town for the evening and we met up at the Nats-Orioles game; not the Big Deal that is New York vs. New York, but a fairly big deal here, and very well-attended. Don is a Brewers and D-backs fan (the two places he lives), but a Baseball Fan first and foremost.

There was a 75-minute rain delay, so lots of time to talk. He lamented his Brewers (“worst pitching in baseball”) and D-backs, and of course we discussed the local teams. But then I got to comment on the amazing job that the Yankees have done this year, “you gotta admit.”

Don couldn’t agree more. He could care less about the Yanks, but felt compelled to give them the highest praise. Given their collective age and horrible injury luck this year, said Don, you just had to write off April and May. And yet just look at what they’ve done! To Don’s view, they are absolutely a playoff team this season, and “a very dangerous one.” OK, that all may be entirely too rosy…but it’s sure nice to hear from a guy who’s as knowledgeable and as objective as I’ve come to know when it comes to baseball. Hope that helps.

P.S. Good Luck, Jane — hope the annual Fire Problems go away, and you can go back to enjoying your paradise…

8. Freya says:

Hope the wildfires go away and that eveyone is safe.
    I’m expecting the Yankees to come back big tonight!