Good News/Bad News

May 5th, 2013 by Jane Heller

First, the good.

Photo: William Perlman/Star-Ledger

Seems like Hughes just keeps improving. His performance on Saturday was really impressive, and the Yankees needed it to notch the win over the A’s.

Now, the bad.

Photo: Jim McIsaac

In today’s series finale, Nunez left with a rib cage injury (MRI results pending). What is up with all these injuries??????????????????? The roster is so thin as it is, especially for infielders, and now Nunez goes down too? It’s ridiculous. Don’t these guys have the best in fitness trainers? Why are they always getting hurt? Do they need vitamins? Spinach? Kale?

Forget the kale. A-Rod eats kale and look what happened to him.

All I’m saying is that the situation is too weird to be coincidental, and if I were the Yankees I’d start looking at how these players are preparing for each game and what contortions they’re putting their bodies through during the games.

I feel sorry for Girardi at this point. He really doesn’t have a lot to work with.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Good News/Bad News”

I had to be pleased with Hughes. He’s been getting better with each start. I know we need Nunez’s body out there but he’s still not one of my top 10 favorite starters so maybe they can bring up someone better. The kid that threw two perfect innings of relief on Sunday was fabulous — maybe the farm system has someone. I’m really worried about Pettitte now…he started the season off great but his last two starts have been terrible. I don’t know what to think. The batters kept trying to come back but each time The A’s found another run. Oh well…a night off tonight and then on to Colorado. Hope it doesn’t snow. GO YANKEES!!! By the way, Sunday was the first day in my memory that every New York professional sports team that played lost…Yanks, Mets, Knicks, Islanders…not a good sign.

I’ve knocked Nunez – or should I say Eduardo Scissorhands – from the start because of all those errors, Diane, but he’s worked hard to get better and has been pretty steady out there. And his hitting was finally coming around. If we still had a Ramiro Pena in the system, it would be one thing, but I doubt there’s a great s/s waiting in the wings or we would have seen him when Nunez was struggling. But I’m sure there will be someone to fill in. You’re right about Andy. The last time I figured it was just miscommunication with Romine, but no excuse this time. Sure hope he’s not hurt.

3. Uncle Mike says:

Let me get this straight: Girardi once again trusted Boone Logan, who once again messed up a game the team should have won, and you think the bad news is that the worst fielder in modern Yankee history is unable to play?

Oh, Jane, Jane, Jane… Bad News Boone is the bad news! I’m in the process of putting together a multi-count indictment for my own blog, which will be titled Logan’s Litany of Losing. It will, hopefully, find its way into The Binder, The Great And Powerful, where Girardi can read it and realize, “Holy cow, Boone Logan can’t freakin’ pitch! I’d better not put him out there anymore.”

And then he can get it through his head that NunE6 is a born DH.

Uncle Mike, you do make a good point. I picked Nunez’s injury for the “bad news” segment of the post because it represented the cumulative effect of all the injuries. Losing him for a few days isn’t a tragedy, but his injury was just the last straw. Logan, on the other hand, needs to be either sent somewhere far, far away or fixed by Larry Rothschild. At this point, there’s got to be a lefty “specialist” better than he is.

5. Saphire916 says:

Maybe I just have a soft spot for Nunez, but he was really getting better! He wasn’t doing well jumping from position to position and was doing so much better just being at short! Also, after Kevin Long worked with him, his bat was improving, too! So yes, I will be very disappointed if he is in fact injured.

But on the bright side….Phil Hughes was really outstanding on Saturday and I apologize for ever being mean about his abilities.

6. Freya says:

I’m heading to Colorado on Wednesday and will be at Thursday’s game. Hope the rain stays away.

I’m sure Phil forgives you, Saphire916. He’ll have to forgive me too.

Cool, Freya! What fun.