Pronked!

April 17th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Yes, Travis Hafner has a candy bar named after him. At least he did when he was a slugger in Cleveland. Maybe with a few more tie-breaking homers like he hit tonight, he could get the candy company to revive it with him in pinstripes.

His homer saved me from having to gnaw on my fingernails for longer than necessary, so I was grateful. Nice move by Girardi pinch hitting him for Francesco who, despite his first hit, hasn’t shown much.

I didn’t have a good feeling about this game in the early going. CC didn’t look sharp and the Diamondbacks pitcher, Miley Cyrus Wade Miley, was very “on,” throwing strikes and throwing them in quick succession. But CC settled down and the Yankees fought their way back, which is such a good sign on both fronts. And, of course, it all set the stage for Mo to come in and do what he does best. Game over.

There were no Pronk Bars around my house, so I celebrated with this. Much healthier. Tasty too.

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Pronked!”

1. YankeeCase says:

Wow, that game went by so quick you’d think it was going to be another one of those games where the Yankees’ bats didn’t show up. But then Miley got a little sloppy and we scored that first run and I thought, ‘blood in the water!’ With Gardner up at bat, I could see that slap hit to left in my mind and I knew were about to have a brand new ball game. And then he gets two strikes and I’m like, “Eep!!” But then we saw what happened (if only Gardner can slap the ball into left like that regularly, he’d be even more of a weapon for us). I felt like we might see our first Yankee walk-off of the season. Hafner probably put the whole stadium at ease with that shot to take the lead, knowing Mariano was coming in.

I’m with you Jane on Francisco. I don’t understand why he’s on the roster. He’s the righty DH? Ok… Wasn’t Juan Rivera supposedly hitting the ball around pretty well in Spring Training? Hey, sure pick up Overbay to play first, but I’d rather have kept Rivera as an extra outfielder and regular righty DH than Ben Francisco. The only thing that makes any kind of sense to me is that Francisco asked to be released by the Indians knowing the Yankees would pick him up and so the Yankees felt an obligation to keep him and give him an honest try. Or maybe there’s some sort of contract stipulation stating they can’t release him until a certain date? I know it was crazy when our regulars started going down like flies and you do what you can at the time, but wouldn’t the smart move have been keeping Rivera having signed Overbay to play first? I think contracts and options must’ve played a role in this.

But hey, you’ve gotta expect one swing and a miss, right? Besides Francisco I think Cashman did a hell of a job getting a patchwork team on the field. I was skeptical about Vernon Wells until I read that he did lots of research on his swing and didn’t purely blame injuries. And in taking a closer look at his numbers, he hit 11 home runs in 77 games, 242 at bats. If you double the number of games or at bats (which I don’t think he’ll come that close to) then the number of home runs is 22. That’s about what Russell Martin gave us last year with a poor batting average. So anything extra in terms of hits is welcome.

Hafner has gotten us some big hits so far, and Overbay and Boesch haven’t made anyone regret their signings. Unfortunately I think those last two (along with Francisco) are going to find themselves cut once Grandy, Tex, and Jeter come back. The nature of the biz…

2. Sean K says:

Sorry I haven’t been on the last few days. I’m studying intensively for an exam. Haven’t had to do that since I was a student.

Anyway, great win for NY! Looks like we’re doing what we have to — surviving this injury-riddled stretch until we can get everyone back healthy. Keep the good vibes going, guys!

Loved the Miley Cyrus reference Jane! I was thinking of her every time they said “Miley’ too. As if the first sic and two-thirds innings of that game weren’t unpleasant enough:)

I’ve been traveling for the past few days and haven’t been able to either watch or listen to a game so I was really looking forward to this one, especially since it was broadcast in my area. I had my concerns, though – a never-before-seen pitcher who seemed formidable and the very fact that it was on television – that often means a loss, in my experience. But the guys proved my doubts and fears were for naught and it was a great game to watch. Well, the last two innings, anyway.

This team is really clicking and it is fun to watch. You never know who is going to make the game-winning contributions, though Hafner is starting to be a fairly reliable bet and Gardner has been pretty helpful. It was good to see CC settle down and pitch what was, except for the first inning, a very good game. And Mo being Mo – it’s so nice to relax in the ninth. The man is just so soothing.

Glad they found a way to get the win for C.C. — although he started out the game poorly, he tightened up just enough and stayed in long enough to get the W. Does anyone know where the name Pronk comes from? I don’t recall ever tasting a chocolate bar that I didn’t like so let’s hope the Pronk bars show up. LOL. Bring out the brooms for tonight…we need it. GO YANKEES!!!

I’m guessing they’ll keep Boesch and Overbay when the regulars come back, YankeeCase. (Francisco, bye bye.) Tex will need a backup at first and Boesch is younger than the others and a good athlete (and possible first base backup too if they keep sending him out to take balls there).

I thought the same thing about the Yankees not seeing the pitcher before, Audrey. That can spell doom, but not last night.

“Pronk” comes from when he was in the minors, Diane. It’s a combo of “Donkey” and “Project.” No one’s elaborated more than that, so it’s all we know.

Thank you for providing all this information and insight. Looking forward to the next posting.

7. Peggy says:

BREAKING NEWS !!! BAD NEWS !!!! Jeter has fractured his ankle again. Won’t be back till after All-Star Break. DAMN !!!!

8. Sean K says:

Just got the news about The Captain. Hope he’s back in the lineup by July and carries the team to a deep playoff run…