Kuroda, The Samurai Sword!

April 14th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Impressive performance tonight, right? Kuroda sliced and diced his way through the O’s lineup and left no doubt that when he’s on he’s really on. I mean like almost perfect. He threw strikes, pitched economically and had everything working (I really hope Hughes and Nova were watching carefully), and it made what was an early pitcher’s duel actually feel relaxing.

I didn’t know how the Yankees would give him run support but I knew they would. What a bomb from little Gardy and how timely. There were a couple of errors in the infield, but overall tonight’s series finale was a well played contest and an important one, even though it’s only April. It doesn’t hurt to beat our division rival and set a tone.

I especially enjoyed winning in front of a national audience on ESPN, I admit it. Despite missing many of our marquee guys, the Yankees are still capable of showing everybody who’s boss.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Kuroda, The Samurai Sword!”

I was really amazed too at how quickly the game went. A nice thing for us east-coasters when the game doesn’t start until 8 pm. Kuroda only gave up 5 hits and I don’t think any runners made it past first base. That was a huge start but I’m worried about Pettitte. He’s having back issues. We need him this season if we are going to have a real shot at the post season. But hopefully he’s fine and just need a couple of extra days off. I’m also hoping that all our big hitters (not the new ones we got in the last few weeks) come back well rested and that the bats make lots of noise in the post-season, which they obviously didn’t do last year. GO YANKEES!!!

It did go fast for an ESPN game, but I love those games because they start at 5 for me! Pettitte said he could have pitched on his regular day, so they’re just being cautious with him and rightfully so. You’re worried about the postseason in April, Diane? How about we just get through this month with a winning record!

3. Deborah says:

Jane, I agree that the Yanks victory was especially sweet since it was broadcast on ESPN and televised nationally but I was excited because when the Yankees took the lead, it finally shut those ESPN announcers up with their pro-Orioles chatter. All they talked about for the first half of the game was how wonderful the Orioles are! They yammered on and on about Buck Showalter this and Baltimore that. If they showed Buck in the dugout one more time, I was going to hurl something at the TV. Did anyone else notice that or was it just me?

I guess I’m used to the national announcers on ESPN and Fox and even TBS praising the opposing teams ad nauseum, Deborah, so it didn’t bother me that much last night. And the Orioles were sort of a Cinderella team last year so everyone thinks Buck’s a genius.

5. Saphire916 says:

Deborah, I’m with you!!! At one point, Robby put together this amazing at bat and ended up walking and they ignored him the whole time while talking about something else. I got even madder when they started showing the announcers instead of the at bat taking place. I know Michael Kay has side conversations while announcing, but I really can’t see him ignoring several at bats. But, on the bright side, the Yanks won and Kuroda was spectacular. Now if only Jayson Nix could keep his hands warm so he won’t drop any balls…

6. Leo says:

Obviously the best part of the game was Kuroda’s superb outing but I enjoyed seeing guys like Boesch, Cervelli, and Gardner in particular pick up the slack for the offense since the middle of the order didn’t have a good game. Overbay and Nix also did their part by moving Boesch to 3rd and then home with their out and sac fly respectively to manufacture the first run. Like Jane said, I hope Nova was taking notes and can follow up with a good outing himself.

Ohhh…Last Night!

(that’s for you, Diane — Jane usually doesn’t care very much for o-l-d music…)

But it was nice. Extra-nice for we Yankee Fans of the Mid-Atlantic, dealing daily with Oriole Chatter from within and without the household. Satisfying antidote to the Embarrassing non-performance of the local Wannabe Nationals in their latest pratfall against Atlanta. And it’s extra-nice too to note that That Old Black Magic of what journeymen can do when they first put on The Pinstripes is still alive & well in 2013…

8. Peggy says:

Hi Jane and Fellow Baseball Fans….

I was at the game last night…in the upper deck where it was quite cold. The beginning of the game I said to my friend I hope it’s a 3-0 game with the Yankees winning and Hiro pitching through the 8th with Mo coming in the 9th for a save. We would also be able to go home 1/2 inning earlier as I can’t stand the 8:00 starts on a Sunday night especially with work the next day and the cold weather. Well …they did most of what I wanted except for not seeing Mo …boo hoo. Hiro was GREAT ..what a fantastic game he pitched and I fully understand that they let him complete it. I always love the game ending on a K too. As long as they won I didn’t mind sitting through the cold and unbelievably I was actually in my house by 11:30…AMAZING !!!! What a shot by Gardy too. I’ll be going on Wednesday night and hoping the weather is slightly better. I guess I shouldn’t complain..at least we didn’t get snowed out like the game in Minny. I have sat through a few snow games …not fun to say the least. So ..I’m 1-1 so far …hope to make that a much better ratio by the end of the season.

Go Yankees 2013 !!!

9. Uncle Mike says:

Once again, the people who were giving the AL East title to Toronto because of their new pitchers forgot that A, the Yankees have good established pitchers; and B, the Jays’ pitchers were great NL pitchers, but that doesn’t work in the AL — as the Yankees proved with Pavano, Burnett (after 2009), and Vazquez twice. It makes me wonder how many games the Braves’ Big 3 would have won in the AL.

Today, the Yankees are 6-5, and just 1 game out in the AL East. If this is the annual “awful start” we’ve gotten off to every year since 2005, I say let’s enjoy the last 151 games — because we will probably be able to enjoy quite a few of them.