Yankees Nix Sweep

April 7th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Photo: Reuters/NYPost.com

Baseball is such a funny sport. I went into today’s game thinking….Uh-oh. Verlander will be sooo tough and CC takes awhile to get going each year and we have no chance of scoring a lot of runs and might lose all three in Detroit.

Wrong. Instead, the Yankees scored 7 runs and pounded out 13 hits and got a shutout from CC, Robertson and Mo. Sweet.

CC was his excellent self, give or take the velocity, and the offense – particularly from the guys you wouldn’t expect – was fun to see. Cervelli is off to such a great start to the season that he makes me forget he was last year’s castoff. Quite a turnaround for him. And while Nix will never be Babe Ruth, he showed he’s capable of knocking in runs every now and then. Youkilis has been my pick for offense since the Yankees signed him, so I’m not surprised by his production.

Now it’s on to Cleveland. One game at a time, boys.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Yankees Nix Sweep”

1. YankeeCase says:

Nice headline, Jane! ;) lol

I wasn’t able to watch the game, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw a 3-0 lead in the fifth inning with the MLB app. I know we’ve been able to get to Verlander in the past, but that’s usually with a lineup that’s got a little more pop than the guys we have now. But no matter what anyone thinks, that’s why they play the games. Just to keep us on our toes, lol.

Jane, I read about how the Tigers honored Mariano with a display of photos and dirt from the two Detroit stadiums he’s pitched in. And I remember how the Nationals also gave him some sort of gift, even though I think he only pitched at RFK stadium twice. We’re going to be seeing this all season, including in Cleveland coming up. I just think it’s very classy and if I’m appreciative of the outpouring of respect, then I’m sure Mariano must be incredibly appreciative and humbled by all of this. We have every reason to hate the Tigers (or at least not like very, very much! grr!) since they’ve knocked us out of the playoffs the last three times we’ve met, but that was very cool of them.

I remember there was an outcry from some Met fans up here when it was announced that the Mets would honor Chipper Jones on his last visit to Citi Field. I think it was a classy move by the Mets and every other team that did so, including the Yankees who gave him third base from the Braves’ win the night before and I think some sort of plaque. I don’t know if David Ortiz is quite on that level, but I’d expect that even Yankee fans would’ve cheered for, let’s say, Ted Williams had we known if he was retiring. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did back then. I think excelling in baseball commands that sort of respect. I can only imagine the kind of ovation Mariano will get on September 15th in Boston. I remember how they mock cheered him in 2005 after those ALCS runs he gave up late. Not that any of us needed reminding… Gack! I’ll bet the next time they cheer him there won’t be any mocking at all.

Sorry, I just think the whole thing is cool. The fact that it’s our guy they’re honoring everywhere.

2. Lourdes T says:

One game at the time! The new guys are doing a good job.

Such a lovely ceremony for Mo, YankeeCase. And yes, very classy, although I’m not sure I would have wanted the dirt. LOL. I honestly don’t think Ortiz would get that kind of farewell tour treatment. He’s been a very good player but the best ever at what he does? No.

The new guys did do a good job today, Lourdes. The old guys did too….

4. john says:

Now that was a pleasure wasn’t it? But 1 of every 3 is not acceptable.

With all the on field problems the Yankees have experienced there is another growing issue that I wonder if others have noticed. I have listened to radio broadcasts of 3 games so far including yesterday and I am afraid one of my favorites (and yours Jane), John Sterling is having a real bad time this year. His calls have been inconsistant at best and it seems an inning hasn’t gone by without him miscalling a fly ball or a fair or foul ball or even a home run. Seriously, he is way off his game. Has anyone else noticed? I never could stand Curt Gowdy years ago. I hate to say it but John is beginning to sound like Gowdy did just before he hung up the mike. There wasn’t any spring games on the radio as I recall so maybe john is just a bit rusty. Lets hope so.

Happy for the win and especially happy that the bats woke up (and against Verlander no less) and that C.C. did what he had to do to get a win. I think they let him throw too many pitches this early in the season but we’ll see. I also was unhappy to see Mariano come in when there was no need for him to do so. I don’t know if it was to show gratitude to the home team and their fans for the honor they showed him or if it was because he needed the work, but he threw more than 20 pitches to get out of that inning, did not get a save for it, and if he’s needed this afternoon I don’t know what to think. I’m not complaining, though, because we got a much needed win – I’m just concerned going forward. GO YANKEES!!!

I’ve only listened to one full radio broadcast, John, so I can’t really judge Sterling’s performance overall. I did hear him miss the call that “safe” call that Leyland argued and everybody said was bogus and they overturned, so he was right on that one. As for the other missed calls, maybe he’s rusty or maybe he’s losing it or maybe he needs new glasses! Did Suzyn make the same calls or did she not say anything? Anyhow, can’t really weigh in until I’ve listened to more games. I’ve been watching them on TV and the computer.

I didn’t mind Mo coming in yesterday, Diane. He probably needed the work since we’ve rarely had a lead going into the 9th. And he needs to get sharper than he showed yesterday, so it’s all good.

7. yankeefansince1941 says:

It appears to me that the “new” guys are doing all the offensive damage. Right now I’m hoping that A-Rod will convalesce for the whole season and leave Youkilis at third base for the whole season…and maybe next season too.

I’m with you on Youkilis…..

9. Lynne says:

Well, I guess I owe Youk and apology for whining about him becoming a Yankee. Thanks Youk, the team would be much worse off with out you. Please keep up the good work.

10. Antonella says:

Hi Jane!
    I actually thought the same exact thing going into this game lol. We definitely can’t predict baseball. Never expected CC to shutout the Tigers. It was great to see. CC battled the whole day. Love that guy. I think Cervelli should start sharing his arepas w the team. LOL they seem to be working for him. (if he doesn’t want to share, then I’ll have to make it for them lol)

I hope he heard you, Lynne!

Okay, you’ll have to tell me what arepas are, Antonella.:)