The Pronx Bombers?

April 3rd, 2013 by Jane Heller

Photo: Getty Images

The Bronx Is Vernon?

Those were John Sterling’s calls, apparently, not mine. I was watching on ESPN. In any case, the Yankees got their first homers of the season from these two.

It wasn’t enough.

Not only did the rest of the team fail to look alive at the plate, but chalk up yet another injury, this time to Kuroda. Very relieved that the x-rays of his finger were negative, but I’m guessing he’ll miss a start (it’s cold, he’s old, the Yankees will be cautious). I do wish pitchers could refrain from reaching for balls. I know it’s a reflex, but it almost always ends badly.

The only remotely interesting thing about the game was Adam Warren, who mostly excelled in long relief.

Oh, wait. The other remotely interesting thing was their bullpen guy, Andrew Miller.

Photo: Matthew J. Lee/Boston Globe

(As the Globe’s Pete Abraham said, he looks like Tom Hanks in “Castaway” with all the hair.) Why did he plunk Ben Francisco, who was pinch hitting for Ichiro? Was it because Kuroda hit two Sox players while he was nursing a bruised finger and, therefore, erratic? If so, how bizarre. Or was it because of some carry-over from last season? If so, how doubly bizarre since Miller had never faced Francisco. Maybe it was just the cold weather that got to Miller. But I sure wouldn’t want to see that big guy with the big fastball coming at me.

Notice how I didn’t say a word about Eduardo Scissorhands’ error? It really was a tough chance, so I’m giving him a pass this time.

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “The Pronx Bombers?”

1. Sean K says:

Ugh. I hope our real lineup gets healthy and soon, this is not fun to watch.

“Spaceballs” after the game cheered me up a bit.

Okay, Yankees fans. We have to start doing our pre-game lucky things if we have not already started doing so. I’m an extremely superstitious sports fan and I have not done my “lucky thing” for either of the first two games so I’m taking as much responsibility as the boys (and old men) in pinstripes. So do it, fans! If you do something before or during a game or wear something that’s lucky and you haven’t so far this season…Do It! GO YANKEES!!!

3. dj says:

Miss Diane – Challenge Accepted! I have not been performing any Yankees rituals yet as life and work and such have been so crazy I haven’t even been able to watch or listen to more than 2 innings of a game this week. I will make sure to work on that immediately! I am very superstitious as well – I completely blame the dipsmacks on ESPN (as I was watching my beloved Iowa Hawkeyes make it to the NIT championship game). They said the word “perfect” when updating viewers on Darvish’s game. There are so many other ways to say he has a no hitter, no men reaching base, great game going on without using the “p” word. Oh well, just one more reason I hardly watch ESPN anymore.

Superstitious or not, let’s all just keep supporting and cheering on our boys. Let’s Go Yankees!!

4. Leo says:

I couldn’t understand why Girardi left Eppley to face a few lefty batters when his numbers indicate that he is and should be a righty specialist only. There is little margin for error more than ever now so I don’t know why he would intentionally ignore that information when it should be inside his precious binder. It didn’t help matters that the offense was mostly anemic and already having issues with RISP to start the season and we have this lineup for the next couple months. I can’t expect our regulars to produce miracles right away after their injuries and it will likely take them awhile to play to their full capabilities so we have to make due with what we have. I hope Pettitte leads the way with a great start and most of all, doesn’t get hurt.

I gave up my superstitions for the most part, Diane and DJ, but I encourage you to pull them all out!

You said the key word, Leo: Pettitte. He’s been our guy when it comes to rebounding after losses, so I hope he can fill that role again.

Ouch. A bad start never feels good, but yet ANOTHER injury…and all this to the Sawx?
    My brother-in-law, a Carmine Hoser for life, has already delighted in telling me to look at the standings.

Meanwhile, we geezers note with sadness the passing of Bullet Bob Turley, hero of the 1958 World Series for the Yanks as they rallied from a 3-1 deficit in games and won it in 7, against the Milwaukee Braves. Yes folks, that’s where they were before 1966; and before that, in Boston (!). So perhaps all that accounts for the bad karma this week.

Let’s do hope than Andy is dandy and can turn it around, at least to spoil the Sawx…

Elsewhere: hey DJ — Good Luck to your Hawkeyes in the NIT Finals. Thanx for beating Maryland, who we in ACC Country are more than happy to unload. Keep up the beatdowns in the Big Ten…!

P.S. Jane, am I missing an extremely clever pun in your title? No comprendo “Pronx”…

Not my pun, Dave. Pronk is Hafner’s nickname. John Sterling (NY radio broadcaster) used it in his home run call.

8. Peggy says:

To quote the Yankees PR Dept. Our long National Nightmare is over …the Yankees got their lst win … :) Thank you Mr. Pettitte and Mr. Rivera ….THE GREATEST ONE, TWO DUO OF ALL TIME !!!!

Go Yankees 2013 !!!!