And Off They Go…

March 28th, 2013 by Jane Heller

It’s kind of hard to believe, but the Yankees will leave Tampa today and finish up their spring training games elsewhere before heading up to New York for Opening Day. And what a weird spring training it’s been for them – eventful, to say the least.

So much happened in such a short time….

• Jeter played in his first games since his ankle surgery and ended up on the DL.
  • Mo returned after his surgery only to announce his retirement after the season.
  • A-Rod was essentially banished from camp while he rehabs his hip.
  • Granderson got injured.
  • Tex got injured.
  • Hughes got injured.
  • Cervelli emerged as the best catcher in camp.
  • Youkilis found his groove at the plate.
  • Hafner did not.
  • Nova pitched well.
  • Joba and Robertson pitched well.
  • Pettitte and CC showed up healthy but haven’t been sharp yet.
  • Nunez got the job at short in Jeter’s absence and has made fewer errors.
  • Ronnier Musty impressed the organization.
  • New hires included Rivera, Wells, Overbay and Francisco.

What did I miss?

It’s kind of crazy that the Yanks will break camp without really knowing who their first baseman is. Ditto their right fielder. But it’ll be baseball, and I know we’re all happy about that.

P.S. Check it out! I’m in the latest issue of Time Out New York, in defense of our boys.

P.P.S. So Juan Rivera was released and Lyle Overbay is our new first baseman. All righty then. And Boone Logan got hurt today. I guess I have to add him to the above list.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “And Off They Go…”

1. margaret says:

We were to see the boys tomorrow in DC
    I tore my labrum (will be unable to pitch) and am in some real pain.
    My husband has the horrific stomach virus going around.
    My home will be quarantined next for heaven’s sake.
    We are falling apart like the Yankees.
    We can’t even hobble to the game now.
    :-(

2. Ruth says:

I will come out of tax season hibernation and take Peg’s place as the on-site Yankees fan reporter from Nats Park tomorrow. I’m not sure what kind of squad will be there for the Yankees, so I’m a bit leery about going to a pre-season game, but I couldn’t resist. Not that there is much of a Yankees squad anyway – who IS this team and organization?? Sounds like Youk could be the leader of this team, at least at the start of the season. I’m personally excited about him being a Yankee. He is a winner and I don’t care what team he came from. In this age of free agency, what good does it do to hate any players from other teams? The player you hate today could be the star of your team tomorrow. Happy Almost-Opening-Day everyone!

And, Peg, I highly recommend Dr. George Branche of the Anderson Orthopedic clinic to repair your shoulder. I had the same shoulder problem corrected with Dr. B, and 5 other surgeries with him (knees), and he is THE BEST. Take care of yourself!

Oh, no, Peg. You were so looking forward to going to see the Yanks versus the Nats! Sorry about your labrum and your hubby’s stomach bug. Get better soon, both of you.

I had a hunch you’d be there, Ruth, tax season or no tax season. Do report back. I completely agree about Youkilis.

Good summary, Jane. Not much else one could say. Its going to be interesting, that’s for sure. I’m so sorry to hear about you and your husband, Peg. Hope all goes well for you. I heard that whomever started for us yesterday did well…we are going to have to depend on our pitching more so than ever. GO YANKEES!!!

I think Phelps will need to come on strong this season, Diane. He could really be a help to the staff.

6. margaret says:

Thanks Ruth. Anderson Clinic did my last back surgery in the 90’s.
    However, I had my rotator cuff and labrum on the other arm done by a gorgeous hunk-a-hunk-a burning love a few years ago and I think I’ll go back to him. :-) Hubby thinks that is why I did it on the other arm. He knew how I drooled over this young, tall and tan speciman of a man. He could be in one of Jane’s novels.

I will be watching this game from my sofa and maybe we can all meet at the next one. :-)

7. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans….

Well…it’s finally here !!!! Yankee Baseball and quite a different Yankee Baseball it will be this year. I read that we will have just 2 players from last year in the starting lineup on Opening Day…Robbie & Gardner. That’s pretty weird. I just hope all the injured come back as soon as possible and with a vengence. Most people aren’t giving the Yankees a prayer but I’m always optimistic …it’s a long season and once the regulars come back with any other pickups along the way leads me to believe the Yankees have just as good a chance as any team especially with the starting pitching & bullpen. That’s the big key ..the starting pitching and bullpen staying healthy. I know they are old but then they were old last year too and wound up with the best record in the AL. It doesn’t look good on paper but I’ll wait to see what happens on the field. I might be wearing rose-colored sunglasses but I love wearing sunglasses and I love My Yanks …no matter what the outcome of the season. I’m just hoping for some terrific games from the team and a fight to the finish.

I will be at Opening Day along with my daughter and son-in-law. I’m so happy to once again visit my home away from home …Yankee Stadium. It’s suppose to be in the 50’s which is great too …much better than the games I sat while it was snowing. Here[‘s to CC winning the first game of the season. I have faith in the Big Boy. I just want the Yankees to make the Sox look like fools on April Fool’s Day. Heck…I want them to make the Sox look like fools EVERY game they play against them ..haha.

Here’s to an interesting but great season for our boys. Happy Baseball Season everyone …GOOOOOOOOO
    YANKEES !!!