It’s kind of hard to believe, but the Yankees will leave Tampa today and finish up their spring training games elsewhere before heading up to New York for Opening Day. And what a weird spring training it’s been for them – eventful, to say the least.
So much happened in such a short time….
- Jeter played in his first games since his ankle surgery and ended up on the DL.
- Mo returned after his surgery only to announce his retirement after the season.
- A-Rod was essentially banished from camp while he rehabs his hip.
- Granderson got injured.
- Tex got injured.
- Hughes got injured.
- Cervelli emerged as the best catcher in camp.
- Youkilis found his groove at the plate.
- Hafner did not.
- Nova pitched well.
- Joba and Robertson pitched well.
- Pettitte and CC showed up healthy but haven’t been sharp yet.
- Nunez got the job at short in Jeter’s absence and has made fewer errors.
- Ronnier Musty impressed the organization.
- New hires included Rivera, Wells, Overbay and Francisco.
What did I miss?
It’s kind of crazy that the Yanks will break camp without really knowing who their first baseman is. Ditto their right fielder. But it’ll be baseball, and I know we’re all happy about that.
P.S. Check it out! I’m in the latest issue of Time Out New York, in defense of our boys.
P.P.S. So Juan Rivera was released and Lyle Overbay is our new first baseman. All righty then. And Boone Logan got hurt today. I guess I have to add him to the above list.