Nagging

March 21st, 2013 by Jane Heller

Have you ever noticed how it’s always women who nag? I never hear about nagging men, so does that mean they never do it?

But I digress. The “nagging” I’m interested in right now applies to injuries, specifically injuries to the Yankees.

Tex’s wrist is a potential nagging injury that, even after he’s “healed,” will plague him throughout the season.

A-Rod’s hip is a potential nagging injury that, even after….Well, who knows about him.

Which brings me to Jeter, of course. The ankle. It was healed, now it isn’t. Depending on which expert or beat writer you listen to, his setback is normal – just some swelling and stiffness that comes with use after a layoff – or it’s an unsettling sign that The Captain will be hobbled for awhile.

At the risk of being a jinx, Mo seems to have recovered completely from his knee injury and surgery. He’s pitching as well as ever and setting batters down in order. Is he superhuman or do some injuries heal better than others or both?

It’s been reported that Jeter will start the season on the DL and that Nunez will be at short – for the foreseeable future. I’ve been a nag about E. Scissorhands – I admit it – but supposedly he’s worked hard to fix his defensive shortcomings and Girardi sees improvement. I’m rooting for him, I really am. What choice do I have?

On a happier note, the season’s almost here, people. For real!

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “Nagging”

I’m trying to be optimistic, Jane, so I’ll go with the concept that Jeter’s situation is normal, and that hopefully he will be back to normal soon. Everyone else, we’ll just have to wait and see. Mariano does look great, and Joba has been a nice, positive piece of the puzzle, too. I am looking forward to the beginning of the season and can’t wait for the temperatures here in NY to improve. Let’s all look forward to the best possible season this team can put up there. GO YANKEES!!!

I’m trying too, Diane, but it would be easier if Jeter were a kid. Things can take longer to heal for the older guys. (I’m laughing as I write that; he’s still a kid compared to me!) Also, it bothers me that he kept bruising the ankle during the season and played with it. Anyhow, I fervently hope he’ll be just fine. And then there’s Hughes, whose back is nagging. Grrrr.

3. margaret says:

I am going to stick my head in the sand on this.
    I know lots of people who deal with their issues this way so I am going to give it a go on the “naggin”

Ignorance is bliss they say.
    :-)

4. Uncle Mike says:

Eduardo Scissorhands? More like Dick Stuart. They called him Stonefingers. Then, when a certain movie came out, they started calling him Dr. Strange-glove. We can call NunE5 “El Doctor Guante Extraño.” Or maybe just “El Extraño,” the Strange One.

I can’t stick my head in the sand, Peg. I read too many articles and it’s bad for my blood pressure!

On Twitter, everybody calls him NunEEEE, Uncle Mike. I’m hoping he can remove some of those E’s.

Yeah, Uncle Mike — I remember Dr. Strangeglove. And he was a FIRST BASEMAN! Ah, if only he’ d been manning that position with the Pirates in 1960…sigh…

And yes, the injuries are what you-all say they are. One “feature” of a nag, so to speak, is that they don’t leave. Recall the fabulous tune by Dan Hicks & The Hot Lick: “How Can I Miss You When You Won’t Go Away?”

Here’s someone you should NOT miss: Senor Soriano. He signed with the Nats for Mucho Dinero, and as of the last time I looked, his ST ERA is over 11. And it’s not due NL hitters…his latest bombing was at the hands of the Tigers. So it COULD be worse (I think)…?