Dropping Like Flies

March 6th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Well, now this is serious, people. And this is where you Cashman fans will want to watch closely to see how he pulls the Yankees out of the situation in which they find themselves.

With Tex out for 8-10 weeks with his wrist injury (personally, I think it’ll be longer and may require season-ending surgery – sorry to be so pessimistic), on top of Grandy’s injury, on top of A-Rod’s surgery, on top of Jeter not being at full power until he is, on top of comebacks from injuries/surgeries to CC, Pettitte and Mo, on top of recent, less serious injuries to Hughes, Logan and Robertson, I’d say we’re in kind of a pickle.

Cashman said today that he’ll address the first base situation (too bad we don’t have Swisher is all I can say) not by switching Youkilis over to first but by waiting for discards by other teams and picking up someone from the dumpster. Is that really what we want? We need a good defensive guy in Tex’s place but we also need a guy who’ll knock in the RBIs we’ll be losing.

On the bright side, this is the Yankees we’re talking about. I’ll always believe they’ll find a way.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Dropping Like Flies”

1. Sean K says:

I watched “Spaceballs” to try and cheer me up after hearing the news. It helped a little.

With luck, all our guys [except A-Rod, whom I’ve written off as a lost cause for at least this year] will get healthy and back in form by August. Then if they stay healthy and we get into the playoffs…

I’m trying to find a silver lining.

…and I was seriously going to worry about the pitching before spring training started. I did laugh at the back cover of Newsday today, Jane. It was a big picture of Tex and the headline read, “WHO’S ON FIRST?” Very clever. Again, I hope the youngsters in the system can step up but I do think the front office will look to purchase some names (and bats and gloves) — looking back now, we might have been better off if we kept Swisher as he was able to play right field AND first base. Oh well, everything happens for a reason and exactly when its supposed to, so we’ll see what’s next. GO YANKEES!!!

By August, Sean? I hope we see Grandy before that!

Funny headline by Newsday, Diane. If only we knew the answer. Yes, as I wrote in the post, Swisher would have been a nice fallback to have. Same with Chavez.

4. Sean K says:

Jane, I figure healthy and back in the lineup by June, then 2 months to really get in playing form and be hitting their stride, for our injured hitters. Remember, thy won’t have the benefit of spring training. That means by August this team will be at max strength and roaring towards the postseason.

[I hope…]

Now is, truly, the winter of our discontent.

A long and depressing article on “Grantland” was provided to me in the last week, written by Rany Jazayerli, whose name looks like someone the Yanks should consider signing up while on the cheap. But here’s a sample paragraph from this writing:

“The Yankees don’t have anyone better because of the deterioration of their other great weapon: In the 18 years since the Core Four debuted, the Yankees haven’t developed anyone to replace them, with one exception. Robinson Cano came up in 2005, and to the surprise of just about everyone, he developed into the best second baseman in baseball. But aside from Cano … bubkes.”

According to Jazayerli, it will be WORSE in 2014. But look…even the Horace Clarke Years had some fun moments. What did Monty Python sing? “Always Look On the Bright Side of Life”…? Cheerio…

6. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans ….

No More Mo …say it ain’t so…sob sob. A sad day in Yankeeland knowing that there will be no sounds of “Enter Sandman” in 2014. You knew this day would come but it doesn’t hurt any less…I love you Mo !!

Go Yankees 2013 !!!

Sadly, Dave, that guy is right about not developing stars to replace the Core Four other than Cano. Austin Jackson was a potential star, maybe, and who knows how Hughes will progress. But I wish we had a great shortstop in the wings.

Yes, we all knew it was coming, but that last day will be traumatic for sure, Peggy.

8. Freya says:

I’m trying to be optimistic, but…. injuries, Mo leaving, and a team that doesn’t look very good right now…

No, things don’t look good, Freya, but maybe one of the kids will turn out to be a diamond in the rough – and become less rough?