Can You Say “Mid-Life Crisis?”

March 4th, 2013 by Jane Heller

Photo: US Army/nydailynews.com

When I read last week about Cashman’s plans to skydive – this after his adventures in rappelling/scaling tall buildings in a single bound – I rolled my eyes. Yes, his stunts have been for good and worthy causes. And yes, he’s a front office guy, not a starting pitcher. But seriously.

Today’s stunt resulted in a broken ankle that will require surgery, and while the injury didn’t make me panic, it did make me wonder if Cashman could use a little…therapy?

This is a guy who’s been dogged by extra-marital affairs, a widely publicized trial involving a stalker/extortionist and a divorce. He’s clearly become a bit of an adrenaline junkie, but then maybe working for the Steinbrenners for so many years drives a man to do strange things.

All I know is that the Yankees need and deserve a full-time GM – one whose on-the-field decisions get more attention than what he does off the field and one who sets an example for the players (don’t even think about skydiving, Joba; we’re still getting over the trampoline incident).

Get better soon, Brian.

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Can You Say “Mid-Life Crisis?””

1. Uncle Mike says:

I wish he would get better at his job.

I think he’s done pretty well over the years, Uncle Mike. I just want his mind on his job!

3. Harold Schwartz says:

Hi,
    I had a very interesting experience Friday evening at one of my favorite Florida restaurants – in Boca Raton. We were with another couple and at a table about 10 feet away was a most familiar face. He looked a lot younger than I thought he would but it was Paul O’Neill! He looks great and fit as a fiddle. I didn’t want to intrude on his dinner so I didn’t ask for an autograph but he passed right by me as he was leaving and I said that we could use him this year. He smiled and said something about the Yankees losing a lot of guys. If only he could come back in his prime!
    Next week I have a ticket for a Yankee – Marlin exhibition game. It’s not the real thing but the best I can do down here.
    Harold

How exciting, Harold!!!! I would have loved to see Paul O’Neill in person and exchange even a word or two with him, so I’m envious! I agree we could use him on the field instead of in the booth. Have fun at the Yankees-Marlins game.

5. john says:

Maybe A-Rod might like to try skydiving!

We met Paul O’Neill at a Yankee game several years ago…he was sooooo nice. And boy, can he eat!!! But anyone who knows about him already knew that. Things are weird around Cashman but I too think he has done a decent job overall for our team. Wish him, and the boys in pinstripes, the best. GO YANKEES!!!

John, you are a baaaad boy.

Haha about O’Neill and his eating, Diane. One of the comic pleasures of watching him on YES is hearing him talk about food. (If you haven’t already, you should read his sister Molly’s memoir about food and growing up in that household. She was such a wonderful food critic for the NYT.)

8. SBlue says:

Its been awhile since I posted something…

Anyway, what’s wrong with living a little? Everyone thinks he should just do his job but really that’s boring and so routine. I’m happy that Cashman is not a total stiff, despite the strange things he does nowadays at least he’s having fun. As far as his job is concerned, he’s done a fine job with the Yankees after all these years even though its not completely perfect. Give the guy a break…

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Living a little, SBlue? I guess we all have different definitions of that. But yes, hoping for a very speedy recovery.

10. new yawk lover says:

Seconded, SBlue. What he, or anyone else does on their own time is their business, and, I’m having a hard time finding fault with Cashman’s job performance coming off a 95 win season and an exciting pennant race.

I miss MLB. I actually watched an entire spring training game between the Rockies and Mariners the other day. I’m glad it will soon be underway again.

11. Peggy says:

Hi All …

Paul O’Neill is my 2nd favorite behind the Mick. My cousin attends all these autograph shows and one year he gave me a gift of Paul’s auto for the 1998 Yankees Memorabilia Show. I had Paul’s book which I wanted him to sign for me. He is only suppose to sign his name and 1998 World Series Champions (have to pay extra for this too). When it was my turn and I told him he was my favorite 2nd to the Mick he said he was so deeply honored to even be mentioned with the Mick. He chatted with me for a bit and signed the book but not the way he was suppose to ..he wrote To Peggy …Best Always… Paul O’Neill, 1998 World Championship Yankees. The woman who was working the show was having fits because he isn’t suppose to sign more than his name and the Championship part. He told her that I was one of his big fans so he don’t see any harm with a few extra words and THEN…as I was walking away he noticed I had the old Navy Blue and White ST Jersery on with his name and number. He called me back, picked up a magic marker and wrote his name on the number of the Jersey which normally you would have to pay $135 for that autograph. Needless to say the worker almost passed out ..haha. He was so nice ..took pictures with him..took time to chat and gave me the extra auto even though he had the longest line at the show. My cousin (the Met fan one) who spends a ton each year at these shows couldn’t believe it. He said he’s never gotten an extra anything …ever. I guess Paul and I just hit it off … :o). I had another special moment at the show…I met Bobby Murcer and gave him a big hug. He looked great at the time so it was such a surprise when he died less than 6 months later. I was just so happy I was able to share a few minutes with him. He was so nice.

As for Brian ..I saw him on Good Day New York yesterday morning after his surgery. He really was in great spirits and was hoping to be released so he could head down to ST for the night game. He’s definitely a gamer. I have no problem with the extra stuff he does especially since it’s for charity. He is right when he said this has gotten a lot more attention for the Wounded Warriers then if he didn’t get hurt.

Here I go again …a LONG post because I haven’t posted very much recently. Sorry about that …I hope everyone has a great rest of the day. Can’t wait for the season to start …GOOOOOOO YANKEES !!!

Go Yankees 2013 !!

P.S. …Jane, I purchased tickets for the 2 games in LA against the Dodgers in July. Tomorrow SD puts their tickets on sale and I’m hoping to score for the Friday night game in August. I’m sorry you won’t be there in July.

Great story about O’Neill, Peggy. Love it! As for Yanks-Dodgers, there’s a remote possibility we’ll go east in August instead of July. Still tinkering with the schedule but will let you know when we’ve figured it out.

13. Peggy says:

Jane …

He was just sooooo nice in person…nothing like the water-cooler destroying Paulie ..haha.

That’s great news …I hope you decide on August. My seats for the 7/30 game are Reserve MVP 11, Row H and for 7/31 Preferred Loge Box 151, Row L. I’m excited about the trip and if we did connect you will get to meet the lucky Met Fan cousin too… :o)

Go Yankees 2013 !!!

14. Sean K says:

I don’t mind Cashman doing what he does. I’m much more concerned about the injury to Tex… :(