This

December 11th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Photo: Robert Rogers/MLB Via Getty Images

So…what does everybody think? Personally, I’m excited about Youkilis shaving the beard and putting on the pinstripes. I think he’ll have a bounce-back year and help the Yanks. Remember how we changed our minds about Damon? It could happen again….

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “This”

1. john says:

If he hits .932 with 56 game winning hits and stops wiggling his butt and doesn’t talk I might accept him as a Yankee!

2. Ladyjane303 says:

I agree with John

3. What the preceding two said. I held my nose until Clemens proved himself worthy… or… did he?

Haha, John. I don’t think Kevin Long will change the butt wiggle and I want him to talk, but I’ll take the average and the game winners.

Come on, Ladyjane. We must embrace all our Yankees!

I had more trouble with Clemens, Michael. He actually beaned our guys as an opposing pitcher and I don’t easily forgive that.

The Greek God of Walks. Isn’t that what they called him in “Moneyball?” Well, we sure can use somebody who can get on base!

Also, the first Jewish ballplayer the Yanks have had since…who…Ron Blomberg? No, I’m sure that’s wrong. Not that it matters, or anyone cares…Happy Hanukkah, Youk (and to all who observe)!!

Should make upcoming visits to Fenway a whole lotta fun.

I know we’ve had good experiences over the years getting players from Boston (hello, BABE RUTH??!!!) but I have to tell you that I hate “You kill us”. Let’s hope A-Rod makes a relatively speedy recovery and we only have to deal with Yuke until July. Ugh!!! Its going to be interesting to see how Joba and Yuke get along…they’ve had some interesting confrontations in the past. We’ll see what happens.

Let’s hope he still grinds out at-bats, Dave, because that’s the Yankee way – or used to be. I like that aspect of his game.

I’m sure he and Joba will be just fine, Diane. Remember Jeter wasn’t wild about Clemens until he became a Yankee and then he became the Rocket’s biggest supporter.

8. Peggy says:

Hi Jane & Fellow Baseball Fans…

All I can say is Yuck to Youk. He’s on my top five “can’t stand” Red Sox list. Right behind Beckett and Paps. I can’t believe I’ll have to look at that ugly puss of his and actually have to root for him when he comes to bat …it’s turning my stomach just thinking about it. I had no problem with Boggs, Johnny Damon and I even tolerated Clemens but it’s going to be real hard for me to accept Youk and his crybaby attitude over EVERY single strikeout. Oh well ..he’ll be wearing the pinstripes so I guess I have no choice but to hope he does well to help the Yankees to #28…it’s not going to be easy !!!

Hope all is well with everyone ….Happy Holidays !!!!

Go Yankees 2013 !!!

I never minded him as much as Papelbum and Beckett, Peggy. It was mostly the batting stance that was so absurd. I’m just not as repelled by him as a Yankee as much as everyone else seems to be. Maybe it’s because I’m hungry for any exciting news from Yankeeville this off-season!

10. Terri says:

As a Sox fan, I hope Youk does well for you guys. I personally would never be booing him – he got his job taken by a youngster (it happens to all of us) and is taking the best offer he was likely to get. Good for him. I think he’ll do well back in the AL East where he’s familiar with the pitching and the ballparks. The batting stance is weird, but if it helps him get on base, you all should embrace the butt-wiggle ;) He’s not going to change it any time soon, as he uses it to help his timing.

I just hope he doesn’t get booed by the faithful. It’s not the same as the Johnny Damon thing. Thanks for the memories, Youk!

I hope he does well too, Terri. My fear isn’t about his being a former Red Sox player, since he’s coming from the White Sox. It’s that he’s been on a downhill slope in his career and may not be able to help the team. But as you say, getting back to the AL East, to a real contender, might give him more motivation. It’s happened with others. As for booing him in Boston, I’m still amazed people booed Damon.

12. Deborah says:

Hey, if Kevin Youkilis is productive for our team, all the jeers will turn to cheers. (Well most of them, anyway.)

13. Emma says:

Hi Jane! Hi everyone! Long time. Peggy’s comment had me laughing ’cause that is the way I feel when I read Dodger fans suggesting Dodgers pick up Brian Wilson. YUCK! That is one of many Giant that I DISLIKE! He is feo, ugly fugly and a Giant.
    Happy New Year everyone!
    -Emma

Hi Emma. I hope all’s well with you in Dodgerville. Have a very Happy New Year!