Boo Hiss (With a P.S.)

December 5th, 2012 by Jane Heller

Yes, I’m mad at the above network. I tuned in tonight to hear about the latest news from the meetings in Nashville and what do I get? A cascade of criticisms about the Yankees from Tom Verducci and the rest of them.

• “The Yankees are an embarrassment.”
  • “They can’t sign anybody.”
  • “They don’t have any money to spend.”
  • “They don’t have a farm system to use in trades.”
  • “They’ll never fill the seats at the Stadium with a team that’s worse than last year’s.”

Okay, I get that we have problems – big problems – but talk about piling on. I do agree with the last point on the list. If the season starts and we’re putting guys like Mark Reynolds at third and Nate Schierholtz in right and Chris Stewart at catcher? Those Legends suites will look awfully lonely. I think Cashman needs to go back to Uncle Hal and say, “How about a bigger allowance?”

P.S. Never mind about Schierholtz. He signed with the Cubs. Maybe Verducci was right: we can’t sign anybody!

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Boo Hiss (With a P.S.)”

1. john says:

Oh yee of little faith, remember what season this is right now. Hal and Brian and Santa will not leave us with coal in our pinstripes. They boys are ordering our gifts on the net right now and some of the hot items may be out of stock but our order will be filled by Spring Training. Count on it.

It’s true, John, that in Christmases past our little Santa’s helper has brought us some very special gifts. What gift are you hoping for this time? I honestly can’t think of anyone to wish for (even Josh Hamilton).

3. Lynne says:

Did you catch the coupon clippers comment? Kevin Millar really liked it. Let’s all be bad boys and girls so Santa won’t bring us Youklis!

I did catch the “coupon clippers” dig, Lynne. I was trying to think of it while I was writing this post and couldn’t, so thank you. As for Youkilis, if he comes to us and puts on the pinstripes (can’t even picture it) and delivers an impassioned performance like he did early in his Red Sox career, I’d be thrilled.

Note today’s article in the NY Daily News, by John Harper. Youkilis is mentioned, as is Josh Hamilton (who he agrees would be far too risky), and even Michael Young’s name is brought up as possible in trade talks. The gag line was provided by Jim Leyritz, who is there in Nashville and who joked with Cashman that he’d be available to play third once he gets back in shape. Didn’t know that Scutaro had also already said no.

Yes, saw Harper’s article, Dave, and it’s yet another of the “Yankees can’t get anybody to sign” choruses. Who knows what it all means!

7. new yawk lover says:

I thought the newly Diamondbacked Eric Chavez would have been a likely character to keep around for duty at 3rd base, but Cashman knows best, right?

Chavez apparently wanted to play close to home, NYL. He lives in AZ, I think.