Thanksgiving At Rhonda’s: 2012 Edition

November 23rd, 2012 by Jane Heller

As always, Michael and I drove down to our friend Rhonda’s in L.A. for her annual gathering. The Emmy-winning producer of the daytime soap, “The Bold and the Beautiful,” Rhonda’s a regular on the red carpets of Hollywood.

And she puts together a table that’s as lavishly beautiful as any of the sets on her show.

The evening started off as lightheartedly as ever. In fact, I grabbed one of her Emmys and started pretending it was mine.

Lots of laughs and catching up while we sipped champagne and waited for the turkey to make its way into the dining room. And oh what a turkey it was.

So delicious. And the mashed potatoes, candied yams, Brussels sprouts, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and gravy were to die for too. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten so much. Seriously.

After the first food orgy came the second: dessert.

Michael’s apple pie/crumbler was a winner, but the chocolate fudge cake wasn’t too shabby either. I even ate the pumpkin pie brought by the villainous Mary Ann, the Dodgers fan-Yankees hater. And it was during my attempt at a civil conversation with her that the evening descended into its traditional madness. Pardon the loud voices in the background, but it was a boisterous group.

Well, you can imagine how my blood boiled. I tried to restrain myself, really I did, but it was Mary Ann’s line about the Yankees being spoiled brats that really made me lose it. Yes, I took the bowl of whipped cream that was sitting next to Michael’s apple dessert and creamed her.

And, of course, she retaliated by knocking me down and giving me some chocolate cake in the face.

I got up and tried to defend myself, but she kept coming, this time with a turkey leg.

Before I knew it, the entire party had jumped into the fray.

And, sadly, even Rhonda got soaked.

She threatened to call the police, but Mary Ann and I apologized and promised not to talk about the Yankees and Dodgers next year. Being the gracious hostess that she is, Rhonda accepted and not only invited us back for Thanksgiving 2013 but for Easter dinner in only a few months. Now that’s a forgiving friend.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Thanksgiving At Rhonda’s: 2012 Edition”

1. john says:

I’ll let you in on a little secret I’ve know for years. There is something in the water people drink on the west coast!

I thought you were warming to us Californians, John, after the ground shook in New England and the storms flooded everybody out! It’s not so bad here.

3. john says:

Ah yes it did shake. Speaking of the flood (hurricane) we visited our favorite summer spot in Rhode Island last Sunday and the damage is unbeliveable. Like New Jersey and New York, it will never be the same.

That’s terribly sad to hear, John. I do love Block Island and hope its landmarks survived the storm.

5. Freya says:

Last year I wanted to strangle your “friend” Mary Ann, and this year I really want to do it.

Haha, Freya. She does play her part well, doesn’t she? She really is a good sport to do these videos every year. The sad thing is she echoes what the haters always say about the Yankees and nothing will ever change their minds.

7. Look at the bright side: At least you both had the body for it.

Wait — that wasn’t you and Rhonda in the fight scenes?

LOLOL, Michael. Yup, we’re professional wrestlers.

9. Christiaan says:

She sounds like a 10 year old blindly taking sides with a political candidate. “My candidate is better!” “why?” “because!”
    This year she definitely could not say anything about buying teams that ultimately choke. They may make the playoffs next year, but so will the Yankees

The Dodgers do have a way of fading down the stretch, Christiaan, or at least that’s been their pattern in recent years while the Giants do the opposite. It’ll be interesting to see if their acquisitions of Beckett-Crawford-Gonzalez pay dividends in their first full season in LA.